Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audio capture with Sound Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newposter

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
In previous versions of Windows, using a microphone off the sound card and using Sound Recorder would limit me to 1 minute long .wav files. It seemed to be hard-coded and couldn't be changed. So I bought some crappy 3rd party software that worked, but won't run on Win32 platforms (98 and older). I don't want to pay $40 for their new crappy Win32 software without knowing if it has improved.
Does XP Home have a workaround for Sound Recorder, or another built-in that allows one to capture audio longer than 1 minute? I'm trying to convert cassette tapes and vinyl to digital. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Sound Recorder is not the way to go. I would use MusicMatch Jukebox, it's a great program that you can use for free but it is WELL worth the cost of registering it for the added features.

Here's a great article that will help you do what you're trying to do in the best way possible:

Hope this helps.

Hudey
Customer Service/Technical Support
Bonzi Software

just goto download.com and find one u like, then goto and find the key to register it, don't do this too much though, the programmer deserves the $ :)

yeah, i agree. Sound recorder is definitely not what you need to be using. I think it was created for making short computer noises.
Go to zdnet.com or webattack.com or wherever and find a recorder.
wait, lemme get this straight, you are recording cassette tape's through a microphone into your pc? You do know about things like "dazzle" right? you can plug a cassette deck (or any analog audio or video source) right into your pc and record a straight signal.
For dazzle products, go to bestbuy.com or any electronics/computer store.

I've already digitized a lot of cassette and vinyl media. I used my Win98 laptop with built-in microphone port, a cable to the cassette deck (or receiver for phono) and a piece of software by Data Becker. No, I didn't hold a microphone up in the air. The laptop only had mic-in, not line-in. The recordings came out great. However, the software is processor and -RAM intensive and is not good as far as filtering.

The idea is to do this *cheaply*. I'm not going to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a one-time conversion. The laptop died and my desktop runs Win2K Pro, which goes to BSOD when I try to install the Data Becker software. My new laptop has WinXP Home. I don't want to pay $40 for a Win2K version of Data Becker or anything else, and I don't want to crack an illegal version of another program. I was hoping that amongst the *many* sound and video editing features bundled into WinXP Home, there might be an audio capture that I already own and haven't found. There's so much crap in this version of Windows, I can't spend days exploring what's there when I need a task done. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

ok, go here they make something called mp3 audio mixer. It will do what you need. You can download it and use it for 30 days for free. That should give you enough time to do what you need done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back