Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATX power 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slybitz

Technical User
Mar 25, 2005
US
Ok this may be stupid but I just want to verify before I go out and buy a new power supply. My mobo has a 24 pin ATX connector but the power supply that I bought has a main power connector with only 20 pins. So my question is, can I still hookup the power supply to the motherboard even though the ATX connector and the power connector are of different pins?

They should match. If they don't match, then making sure that the motherboard's pins are connected is the key. So if the motherboard has 24, and the PSU has 20, you'll probably have an issue. However, on some PSUs that I have seen the "24-pin" lead is actually a 20-pin and a 4-pin. So consult your manual, you may have one of those.

A 20+4 pin means that instead of having a single 24-pin connector that you have two connectors, one with 20 pins one with 4, to make a total of 24 pins. PSUs are made this way because older mainboards only needed 20 pins for power, so they've split the extra 4 off so that they can be tied up to the side if you don't need them.

The picture of your PSU linked below shows two different 4-pin connectors:

One gets plugged in alongside the 20-pin, and one goes to a separate 4-pin connector on the mainboard. The connectors are keyed so that you get the correct one (but most PSUs have both connectors from the 20+4 pin connection tied up close together to prevent confusion).

In short, your PSU should be fine.

Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you! I'm really happy I can keep my power unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back