Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATX Auto Shut off problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am having a system with an ATX power supply which shuts off the power completely from the CPU when you say shut down from Windows 98. Lately it is not doing this and just comes to the prompt "It is now safe to turn off your computer". Does anybody know what is causing this? Are there any settings in the BIOS or Windows for this ?

its sometimes a glich with windows 98, there is a patch on microsoft website which fixes this problem ( most times, not on my Dell Dimension!)

Rob If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Input, need more data.

This is most likely a problem in your windows registry, a key or two have been corrupted and don't allow the computer to complete the shutdown process as normal. If it has been occuring for less than a couple days you would be able to fix this by booting to a DOS prompt then typing "scanreg /restore"(without quotes), select the date you want to go back to and hit enter. Reboot the computer then try shutting down. If it's been too long ago and there isn't a date in the Cab files for scanreg then you can use a recent backup copy of the registry......you do perform dutiful backups of your important data, right?(as if any of us REALLY keep up to date on those=) ) For anyone that does backup important files it would always be adviseable to keep backup copies of the registry(system.dat and user.dat) to be able to go back to when your computer was working. If you don't have a backup copy of the registry, it may be possible that the only way to get a working registry back is to reinstall the original one from your windows CD, the only problem is, if you do this, most every program you've installed on your system since you first installed windows would need to be reinstalled so it could remake its updates in the registry(see the value of occasional system backups?). To do this, click Start/Run, type SFC and click OK, it should bring up the system file checker. Choose the Extract from installation disk option and type in system.dat then click start, put the extract from field as D:\win98 (replace your CD drive letter for D:) and use the destination C:\Windows, place your Windows CD into the drive then click OK. If this is an OEM system you would want the extract from to be the path of your windows Cabs folder.

Hope this is helpful or at least educational =)
Greatwhite, HP Pavilion Phone Technician

overkill i feel. i got the latest BIOS for my Dell and that and the microsoft dowload solved it for me If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back