Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryseals

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
US
Hi all,
I've been tossed into a well fire with a water hose to put it out. Seems I've been placed in the I/E design group to clean things ups. The guy before me kept multiple copies of drawing in tons of locations and I have to straighten it out.
I've use ACad since the early 90's and Access since then too. But never the two together.
I've looked at Mr. Carpenters code and I might be able to make it work for me later. But for now all I need is something to look at each drawing and extract ALL the Block names. Title blocks change from discipline to discipline and I have a ton of those.
All I want to do for now is grab the drawing and read all the blocks, not the attributes, just the block names. Once I establish each block then I'll get the rest of the data, but I'm having a tough time gtting that first kick.

Any help?

I believe there are methods to do this without opening the drawing....

But I know only lisp, and using a few lines of lisp code you can get all the block names from a drawing. Do you want only those that are used (inserted) in the drawing? Then, do you want that written to a file? I assume you can find a batch processing method that handles selecting, opening, & closing the drawings.

If I could find a method to do it without opening the file, that would be great. I started lisp many years ago but never stuck with it, most of the things I did were for proprietary machines. I know VB well enough to get most things, but I do not know the Acad libray well enough to get there without a long haul.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm up against, I was able to narrow the numbers to just a tad over 11,000 documents and files that have been duplicated. Total count of duplicates is approx 34,000. So there are about 23,000 files I need to examine and blow away. That's why I'm looking at attributes and their counts.

Once I get this info into an access db I can let it do the work for me. So what I need is to some how get the data from the drawings into a file.

Thanks
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back