Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attribute Outer Join

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2003
IN
Dear ALL,

Wanted a help regarding the following:

What I want is very simple. I have two entities customer and address.These two tables are joined through customer id(customer.customer_id = address.customer_id).

Now I want to show all customers in a Microstrategy report (my db is 8 1 7) and I want the address to be 'NA' for those customers who have not given their address. For those who have the address corresponding to them, I want the address attribute to be shown from the address table.

So I want something like:

SELECT
CUSTOMER.CUSTOMER_ID,
NVL(ADDRESS.ADDRESS,'NA')
FROM CUSTOMER, ADDRESS
WHERE CUSTOMER.CUSTOMER.ID = ADDRESS.CUSTOMER_ID(+);

Now, I have created an attribute called customer Id at MSTR and defined the join (Through checking the box). And I have another attribute called Address from Address table which is straightforward. My report will have these two attributes only.

And in the report I have changed the Report Data Option > Attribute Join Type > 'Preserve lookup table...w/o filter and w/ filter(neither of them worked)'. Also I have done 'Full outer join' support enabled in the project level VLDB properties.

But when I am dragging the customer id and the address, the SQL that is getting generated does not have the outer join.

What I am NOT able to do is the outer join. Can you please help me how to do this? I referred some of your technotes but they only deal with metric outer join, not attribute outer join. Please not that I do not want any metric in my report.

Can you let me know the steps to be preformed for this as I am struggling to do this simple thing make happen.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards

My guess is you need to have some fact in the report. For some historical reason, MicroStrategy does not work as you wish when you don't have any metrics. So create a metric and hide it with OLAP services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back