Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attribute Creation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstms

Technical User
Feb 6, 2005
FR
Hi,I wanted to create an attribute which displays 2 columns from 2 different tables in one form.To say in detail,
TABLE 1:SECTOR ID,SECTOR LEADER ID
TABLE 2:pERSON ID,PERSON NAME
I can join the 2 tables using SECTOR LEADER ID and PERSON ID and I have to display Sector ID (person name) in one form of the attribute{person name stands for sector leader name).I tried to do this by heterogenous mapping of the 2 attributes and when I try to create the required form using applysimple, I got the message saying that I cannot use 2 columns from different tables in same form. Is there any way I can do this.Thanks in advance for any suggestions .
mstms.

Microstrategy will not allow for creation of attribute forms from two different tables. Period.

The only work around is, assuming the two columns you are going to add are One-One relationship, add it your other table so that you can create the attribute form.
It is important that it is NOT One-Many as it will display only your first value from your 'Many' column.

Let me know if it solves your issue.

One more thing to add to iolaper's response, is that if you can't add the column physically to the database table for whatever reason (dba isn't in an agreeable mood) then you could create a view that joins the tables together. following what iolaper said, it would still be like adding a column to your table, you just use this view instead now for defining the attribute form. while this is still a database object that would require updating your schema, it doesn't really affect the db as much.

nate

Hi,Thanks for your suggestions,I kept both the options as nate and iolaper said and the DBA agreed to create the view,The report worked atlast,Thanks,nate and iolaper,for the quick responses.
mstms

Infact MSTR 8.0 allows you to create logical views right from your desktop now. No begging DBAs anymore.... or how about FFS editors to bring back attribute columns with NULLs in them....., sounds good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back