Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attiribute Relationshipo and Full process

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganjass

Technical User
Dec 30, 2003
GB
Hi,

SSAS 2005

I know that the Attribute relationship type (rigid, Flexible) is an important config setting for performance, with Rigid the preference, but a quick question to confirm something, I take it this is only a useful setting for Update processing, and not a full process?!

Thanks

The benefit of Rigid Versus Flexible is that when you do an Update process on a dimension all indexes internal to the cube are lost and you must do a process index for your aggregations to be recreated. Of course on a full process one of the steps is processing the aggregations.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

If the RelationshipType = Rigid and the attributes change, you will get an error. If the RelationshipType = Rigid and the attributes do not change, the ProcessUpdate will not drop the aggregations.

If the Relationship = Flexible and the attributes change, a ProcessUpdate will drop the aggregations.

My question is if the RelationshipType = Flexible and the attributes do not change, will the ProcessUpdate still drop the Aggregations?

Other considerations:

Is the attribute a Type I or Type II SCD? Is the attribute tied to the Dimension Key or another attribute?

HTH,

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back