Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attempting to join the domain "<domain.local>": Access is denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarrahaG

Programmer
Mar 25, 2007
AW
Hello

I am having problems with a Windows 2000 server in a Windows 2003 Domain. Initially, it started where the Windows 2000 server could not access any network shares on the Windows 2003 Domain controller. It would keep prompting for a username an password when the share was accessed. Entering the domain administrator account and password would not help since it would keep prompting for a username and password. I tried several MS knowledgebase articles without success.

I then tried unjoining the Windows 2000 server from the domain and joining it back. Now I get the message:

"The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "<domain.local>": Access is denied."

I have tried to see any messages generated in the event log that could help but there are none. I checked the logs on both the Windows 2000 Server and the Windows 2003 domain controller.

The NIC on the Windows 2000 server is working fine. Also there is a another Windows 2003 server joined to the domain that is working perfectly and there are Windows XP Pro computers also working fine on the domain.

What could be the problem?

Hello,

Yes the times are in sync.

Regards,

Ensure Win2000 server name is still not listed in AD Users And Computers
Then try these steps:
1.Rename Win2000 server and restart.
2.Try to join to your domain.
3.If this fails, in ADUC -> Computers make new computer with your server's name.
4.Try again to join to your domain.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Hello

I did rename the server and try the joining process again but it was not sucessful.

Regards,

And how about prestage (step 3 and 4)?

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

You probably did this but on the machine you are trying to connect to the server2003 do you have the IP address of the 2003 server in the primary DNS?

Leon

ive had the same issue so what i do is i name the workgroup the same name as the domain go threw the proces after it restarts i see if it will let you change it to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back