Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attempting to install Windows XP on a dual-processor system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJLuman

Programmer
Nov 16, 2004
US
Hello Tek-Tips forum,

Here's my problem. I am attempting to install Windows XP on a system running dual PII 300 MhZs processors with an Adaptec AIC-7880. Windows XP and 2000 will not boot on the machine. Windows 2000 gives me a stop 0x0000003e error (that the processors are operating on different levels, but they aren't) and installing Windows XP gets it to install TWICE on the same HD (I am thinking that it's installing once per processor) when I install it with MPS Multi-processor support. However, in XP, neither installed listing boots - my computer just restarts. I hope this made sense, and I hope that someone can help me. I am just getting frustrated with formatting and re-installing for hours on end.

Thanks,
Douglas J. Luman

I really do not understand your problem. I use dual P4 3.4EE processors and XP recognizes them automatically during installation. I suggest you remove or disable one of your processors and see how that goes. Maybe one of the processors is dammaged or is of a different batch, this could cause problems. Please advise if it installs with one processor. Then fitt the second and see what happens. Regards

Jurgen

Adaptec AIC-7880

You need to present on floppy disk the drivers for this us F6 eary in setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back