Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attempting to access stopped site forwards to non-default

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter0480

Programmer
Jun 15, 2006
NL
I'm running an IIS 6.0 webserver with about two dozen different customer websites, all on the same IP and TCP port, differentiated by host names. Some of these sites are discontinued and have been stopped in IIS. I would expect - from what the help file tells me - that attempting to access one of these would cause you to get routed to the default site instead (and get a generic under construction message):

"You can assign multiple host names, also referred to as domain names, to one computer using a single IP address. If the website requested in the host header is stopped, the client receives the default Web site. Therefore, Internet service providers (ISPs) should set the default Web site as the IPS home page, rather than a customer site".

Rather than getting my default site, however, every request to a stopped site is directed to one specific site belonging to one of my customers. I've checked its IIS settings against those of all the other sites, and checked its entry in the hosts file as well, and cannot figure out what would be causing it to be chosen over the Default or indeed any of the other sites. All settings I've been able to find are identical.

All the real sites are set up as:

IP 10.10.10.2 (= internal IP of webserver)
TCP port 80
host name varies

The Default is set up as "all unassigned".

This problem predates my time with this company so it's well possible there's a custom setting somewhere that causes this, but I cannot figure out what or where. Is there a place I've overlooked, or some way to set up a different site as default that may have been done in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back