Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attack of the Blue Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orius

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
Hello,
I recently reinstalled windows 1998 SE on my computer after have some major problems with software conflicts. Since reinstalling I have decided not to install several of the programs I was running previously so as to avoid any conflicts. However, I am still getting lots and lots of "blue screen" error messages, and also have been having a problem with windows freezing after loading 2 of the start up programs (or only 2 items appear in the system tray then it freezes).
The blue screens have occured less often now that I have turned yahoo messenger's startup connect feature off.
Another file that was giving errors was APXproxysomething (part of Panda Titanium Antivirus). I am still using the antivirus.
Zone alarm firewall also caused several startup lockups as well as I suspect "blue screen" problems. I would like to use this software but cannot get a functional computer while running it. Any ideas on what I need to do.
I have tried using some programs to clean up the registry, could those have done some damage? (Regmechanic, Spybot Search&Destroy, Ace Utilities, and Ad-Aware).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Zack

do the problems only start after you've installed some software - or do you have problems almost immediately after a clean install? (because you may have a hardware problem which is manifesting as a number of software problems). RAM is a common culprit (but any hardware component can cause these sort of problems).

If you think hardware is ok, I can only suggest another clean install than a monitoring period while you install things one at a time. If you're on the internet you'll obviously need an anti-virus - suggest using AVG, free for personal use (at least for a while), which I've had no problems with on any windows platform. Then install one app at a time, give each a good workout (10-15 mins). Keep earlier ones open while running later ones, and see where/when problems occur.

PS. What sort of connection do you have - eg, if you connect to broadband through a router you don't need a firewall.

The problems begin after software is installed. How would I check to see if I have bad RAM?? Connection is DSL, and I do not have a router, maybe I should invest in, but I would really rather try to use zonealarm since its free.

Zack

If you did not reformat the HD when you reinstalled Windows, then recommend that you do this.

If the BSOD's continue, then run memtest-86 to check the memory.
And if your system has multiple sticks of RAM, then test them one at a time by installing only 1 stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back