Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attachment Control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fileman1

Technical User
Feb 7, 2013
GB
Can an attachment control be used/inserted in an unbound form. I have a table with an attachment field but the table is not bound to the form.

Also, I cannot see the control in the toolbox, also had a look through ActiveX controls but did not see. Is it hidden somewhere. Access version 2010

No, but what are you trying to accomplish? There may be a better method/interface.

Thanks. I have an unbound data entry form, generating records using vba. The table the data goes to has a primary key. So I am thinking of having a related single field table/form as a popup, having the attachment control on. As soon as my unbound form gets a records primary key value i can then link/call up the attachment form to use.

Hope that describes the issue ok.

So I am thinking of having a related single field table/form as a popup, having the attachment control on
What you describe sounds a little confusing. If I read the above correctly you want a pop up form bound to a table with an attachment field. If that is the case then you can use an attachment control. Not sure of the issue. Not sure I understand the whole design. Why use an unbound form? 99 times out of 100 you can do what you want with a bound form easier and faster than an unbound. Why do you need to pop up a form for the attachment control? Why are attachments in their own table?

Thanks MajP,

My main form is unbound because I just prefer using VBA. I could not find how to use the new attachment control on an unbound form. So, because of this I am going to use a bound popup form with an attachment control on. A button on the main form will allow the attachment form to open only when my unbound form has part saved the record to get a records Primary key to reference to. Cannot think of any other way to explain. It's just all due to there not being a way found to use the attachment control on unbound forms.

My main form is unbound because I just prefer using VBA.
OK, I guess it is like people who prefer to use only old fashioned hand tools to build furniture. But as you see it is making a simple task harder and causes the work around.

Do you really want an attachment control or some features of an attachment control? If you like VBA you can code your own attachment control. If you plan only to add a single attachment for a record then it may make sense to roll your own attachment control. If you need to manage multiple attachements per record then your suggestion to pop up a bound form may be the simplest work around. You could do this work around a little different by putting a bound subform on an unbound main form. The subform would have the attachment field.

Thanks again. The attachment control only being used on a bound form was my only difficulty with this database. I could see a way round it with another table/form. However, your idea of a subform is much better so thanks.
How did you know I use old fashioned tools?? Laugh

If you want to role your own. Here is some of the code needed and examples of saving and attaching.
Code:
Public Sub OpenFirstAttachmentAsTempFile(ByRef rstCurrent As DAO.Recordset, ByVal strFieldName As String)
    Dim rstChild As DAO.Recordset2
    Dim fldAttach As DAO.Field2
    Dim strFilePath As String
    Dim strTempDir As String
    strTempDir = Environ("Temp") ' Get the Temp directory from the environment variable.
    If Right(strTempDir, 1) <> "\" Then strTempDir = strTempDir & "\" ' Make sure the path always ends with a backslash.
    Set rstChild = rstCurrent.Fields(strFieldName).Value ' the .Value for a complex field returns the underlying recordset.
    strFilePath = strTempDir & rstChild.Fields("FileName").Value ' Append the name of the first (and only) attached file to temp dir.
    If Dir(strFilePath) <> "" Then ' the file already exists--delete it first.
        VBA.SetAttr strFilePath, vbNormal ' remove any file attributes (e.g. read-only) that would block the kill command.
        VBA.Kill strFilePath ' delete the file.
     End If
    Set fldAttach = rstChild.Fields("FileData") ' The binary data of the file.
    fldAttach.SaveToFile strFilePath
    rstChild.Close ' cleanup
    VBA.Shell "Explorer.exe " & Chr(34) & strFilePath & Chr(34), vbNormalFocus ' Use Windows Explorer to launch  the file.
End Sub      '

Public Function OpenReportAndSave(strReportName As String) As String
    'Create report and save as an attachment to the current record
    Dim myCurrentDir As String
    Dim myReportOutput As String
    Dim myMessage As String
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    DoCmd.OpenReport strReportName, acViewPreview
    myCurrentDir = CurrentProject.Path & "\"
    myReportOutput = myCurrentDir & strReportName & Format(Date, "YYYYMMDD") & ".pdf"
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strReportName, acFormatPDF, myReportOutput, , , , acExportQualityPrint
    OpenReportAndSave = myReportOutput
    Exit Function
ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox Error$
End Function

Public Sub loadAttachFromFile(strPath As String, rsAll As DAO.Recordset, attachmentFieldName As String)
  'An attachment field has a recordset of attachments stored behind the scenes
  Dim rsAtt As DAO.Recordset
  'Add a new record to the tables recordset
  Set rsAtt = rsAll.Fields(attachmentFieldName).Value
  rsAll.Edit
    rsAtt.AddNew
     'This is the confusing part.  The value property of an attachment field returns a recordset of attachments
     'All recordset of attachments has a field named filedata which holds the data.
     'The loadfromfile data loads an attachment from a path
     rsAtt.Fields("FileData").LoadFromFile (strPath)
    rsAtt.Update
  rsAll.Update
End Sub

Public Sub SaveAttachToFile(rsAll As DAO.Recordset, attachmentFieldName As String, Optional SavePath As String = "")
  'An attachment field has a recordset of attachments stored behind the scenes
  Dim rsAtt As DAO.Recordset
  Dim fileName As String
  Set rsAtt = rsAll.Fields(attachmentFieldName).Value
  If rsAtt.BOF And rsAtt.EOF Then
    MsgBox "No Attachment"
    Exit Sub
  End If
  fileName = rsAtt.Fields("FileName").Value
  If SavePath = "" Then SavePath = CurrentProject.Path & "\"
  If Right(SavePath, 1) <> "\" Then SavePath = SavePath & "\"
  If Dir(SavePath & fileName) <> "" Then ' the file already exists--delete it first.
    If MsgBox("File already exists. Do you want to overwrite?", vbYesNo, "Overwrite?") = vbYes Then
      VBA.SetAttr SavePath & fileName, vbNormal ' remove any file attributes (e.g. read-only) that would block the kill command.
      VBA.Kill SavePath & fileName ' delete the file.
    Else
      Exit Sub
    End If
  End If
  rsAtt.Fields("FileData").SaveToFile (SavePath & fileName)
End Sub

Calling these procedures from a form
Code:
Private Sub cmdAttachReport_Click()
  Dim tempLocation As String
  Dim fldName As String
  Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
  Set rs = Me.Recordset
  fldName = "Attachments"
  tempLocation = OpenReportAndSave("rptProductsByCategory")
  loadAttachFromFile tempLocation, rs, "Attachments"
  'if you want to remove the temp file
  VBA.Kill tempLocation
End Sub

Private Sub cmdOpenAttach_Click()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
    OpenFirstAttachmentAsTempFile rs, "Attachments"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdSaveAttach_Click()
  Dim SavePath As String
  SavePath = "C:"
  SaveAttachToFile Me.Recordset, "Attachments", SavePath
End Sub

Thanks again, worth another star but site won't do it. I will have a play with that one, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back