Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching Other Files in Approach 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghazali

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2002
MY
Hi, I have created my own database of which one of the feature is attaching files (e.g Wordpro, Excel, Word) in my library. My current set-up are, the "Location" field is the attach files and it being link by macro button (<<tablename.location>>). My problem is, every time I had to input a new files, I had to type the location of the file in the "Location" field which it is a tedious work (e.g C:\Data\employee.doc). Is there a shortcut way for me to input the location, for instance, automatically upload and store the location files without typing the details location.

You could use a "link" in a PicturePlus field perhaps. Have you explored that option?

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Thanks for the info sue...Yes, I have try it before. It seems doesn't fit of what I wanted.

To be more specific, I wanted to minimised my inputing time. Rather than I had to type the location of the files...I want it to be more simple and easy to save the attach files.

Probably if Approach can do something like...when I wanted to attach the files (word, excel), a pop-up box which require the file to be stored is on the screen. Let say the files is in the floppy and I wanted to copy those file into my data library.

And also that data can be retrieved back and executed according to the file application format (Microsoft Word application).

Is there any way or possibility that Appoach can do this?

Hope to hear from u soon....thank you

Sorry, I have been away a few days!

This would require a script to let you find the file in question, copy it into your library, and put the path to it into a field.

We have a product that would help you with the first part. It is the XpertSS Open File Dialog (See XpertSS Product Catalog on for a demo copy). With it, you could display a dialog box and let the user find a file. Then you would need to do the FileCopy and field update.

If you need professional help in doing this, let me know at crossw@compuserve.com.

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back