Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching more than one NT4 account to exchange 5.5 mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgeddis

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
CA
I wanted to see if it would be possible to attach more than one NT4 user account to a single Exchange 5.5 mailbox. Has anyone tried this before? We have a staff member that will travelling to different locations(NT domains) and will be using a different NT user account at each location. Not sure what would be the best way to set this up.

Yes, you can add additional NT permissions to a 5.5 Exchange mailbox. It can only accept a single Primary windows logon account, but you can add extra ones into the Permissions tab (if you haven't got one of those you need to tick the option to show a permissions tab for all objects in Tools Options of Exchange Admin).

Note that if you ever want to connect an ADC to synch your Exchange server with AD, then you need to have a unique mailbox associated with each NT logon, otherwise AD would get confused. There are migration tools to help you sort this out before the ADC gets installed, but far better to not get into that situation in the first place.

As zbnet indicated, ADC will cause massive problems if you do have multiple accounts associated with the same mailbox.

Are there trusts in place between the domains? Assuming there are, what is the rational for having the user use different IDs?

Trusts are put in place between domains. We wanted users to have different NT ID's since they so frequently travel back and forth between sites (domains). Head office has setup an NT4 domain at each site along with NT4 accounts for each specific site. It would be better I think to have the ability to have just one NT4 user account that could stay with the user regardless of what site they travel to. Not sure how this could be setup between NT4 servers.

I'll have a looik the permissions tab. Interesting to note the issue pointed about connecting to Active Directory as we are looking at upgrading our entire environment to Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 from NT4.

dgeddis said:
It would be better I think to have the ability to have just one NT4 user account that could stay with the user regardless of what site they travel to. Not sure how this could be setup between NT4 servers.

Surely that's what the trusts do - allow a domain to authenticate a user from a different domain? So you already have everything in place to allow the user to use the same logon regardless of which site they are logging on at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back