Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching an Image in Acrobat 6.0 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoRUPT

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
CA
I have looked all over the internet and I seem to be the only person who has image attaching problems so here it is: When I attach an image to the PDF it is always bigger than it should be. I have tried many different dpi settings and file formats but they all produce the same result. I even did this: I created a snapshot of a small portion of my pdf. I then pasted it back to the pdf expecting it to be the exact same size as before but it is about 150% the size of the original. Does anyone know what the heck is going on? Maybe i dont know about a setting somewhere because I am fairly new, but this seems like a rather stupid thing for adobe to do. Anyway, please give me suggestions on getting it to work. Thanks.

I've never tried what you're describing. Give us all a step-by-step, and your exact software version numbers, and I'm sure some here will investigate. Break it down for us.

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Adobe Version 6.0.0.5/19/2003
1. Started with a pdf that my employer wants edited which has a background image and some other text links.
2. Using the "Select Image" tool, select a box (any size will do, something defined like a logo). The image will be written to the clip board.
3. Using the "Tools -> Advanced Commenting -> Attach -> Attach Image" tool, click somewhere near the area you just copied.
4. The pasted image of the area you JUST COPIED is about 150% the size it should be.

I know i can scale the image with the box around the image but i need it to be accurate so that seams line up. If there is a way to accurately set the size of the attached image, that would be great (like entering a percentage). This is the only way I know to add an image to my document, if there is a better way (one that works) please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

I got the same results. The image comes in 150% larger than the original. I don't know why. But I can confirm this happens!

Thomas D. Greer

Thank you for testing it tgreer. At least i know its not just me. Is there a better way to get my images into the document? It doesnt seem right to add them as a comment, but I am fairly new to PDF creation so I dont really know how everything works yet.

I have a bias... I think the new editing techinques are completely inappropriate in terms of what PDFs are all about. There, I said it. Once a PDF has been created, it should be locked! Acrobat should only provide inspection and additional "layers" of content, such as forms and comments.

But I'm a PDF purist and think Adobe has gone in the absolute wrong direction.

That said... how are you creating the PDFs now? If your employer wants to "change" a PDF, that means the PDF wasn't created correctly in the first place... try to go upstream as far as you can, and fix the image in whatever program was used to create the PDF in the first place.

Other programs that now "edit" PDFs: Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.

Thomas D. Greer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back