Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATM Frame Vs MLPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2002
US
Can anyone explain the difference between ATM Frame and MLPS Listing the Pros and Cons. I'm really not clear on what's better. It seems i can get a whole lot of bandwith with MLPS wit a fraction of the cost??????

There's heaps of literature about this on the 'Net. Go crazy with your favoured search engine or start from Cisco.com
Or start with this paper I saw from the online IT journal "Network World" Using their search button in the top right, search for "MPLS Frame" and the first hit is for a paper written by the Frame Relay Forum.

The abstract is: "The role of IP in today's networks continues to expand and grow in importance. However, Frame Relay also continues to generate significant revenue in service provider networks. As Frame Relay networks are often used to carry IP traffic, there is tremendous discussion about how both IP and Frame Relay networks will evolve to new technologies and architectures. One current hot topic is the role of MPLS in the deployment of next generation networks. This paper looks at the similarities and differences between Frame Relay and MPLS, and how they can operate together. We examine the reasons behind the development of MPLS and discuss likely scenarios in which both Frame Relay and MPLS have important roles to play."

You have to register with Network World but it's free. The handling of your registration information is clearly accessible (who gets your email address and what they can do with it), but I have generally not found unwanted spam. Once you register, you have access to a stack of white papers - a lot of them vendor neutral and without the 'hard sell' crap - and previous articles about MPLS/FR and a heap of other topics.
Enough said - go read :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back