Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATM Frame Vs MLPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2002
US
Can anyone explain the difference between ATM Frame and MLPS Listing the Pros and Cons. I'm really not clear on what's better. It seems i can get a whole lot of bandwith with MLPS wit a fraction of the cost??????

I have to ask first what is your application? What is your needs?

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNP,CCNA Network+
[americanflag]

the application is a SQL base Practice management software for health care and we also us RDP to connect to remote servers.

MPLS was originally designed for ATM, to make it better and faster. Now it is used over Ethernet or other IP enabled networks, as a layer 3 tunnling protocol. It is more economical than ATM usually. It offers the same general QoS as ATM, often even better. It uses IP, which is generally not used over ATM, it is tunneled within ATM frames. But the frame sizes are not fixed like ATM, so speed is generally faster, but more jittery.

My company sells MPLS to existing ATM customers all the time, but never the other way around. Some of that may be due to the fact MPLS is faily new in comparison. AT&T has had it longest, and so far they are the only ones with MPLS edge to edge, but the others are catching up quickly. And everyone has some MPLS offing now.

It is the wave of the future it appears.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back