Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI X1300 + Dell = no boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsurikov

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
Hello experts - might I ask you for some help, please?

I'm trying to upgrade the video card in a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop (2.66 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, AGP and PCI slots only) running Windows XP). It worked just fine with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (until that card's fan went out and the card died), and I tested it with an ATI Radeon 9550 - no problems. I bought an ATI Radeo X1300 AGP card. Installed it... turned the computer on... no POST. Yes, I connected the extra power connector. Monitor never wakes up, computer never gives the POST screen.

What gives? Is it just an incompatibility? I'd love any help y'all could offer!

Thank you!

Hi Skip (and everyone) - I think I've put this one to rest. The good news is I found the answer on ATI's Web site, although I had to register the X1300 before I could get the answer. The bad news is the answer itself... ATI says the X1300 and X1600 are incompatible with some Dell desktops, exhibiting precisely this behavior (no POST). They are aware of the problem, but to date have no solution.

Guess I'll have to look for another card...

Thanks, Michael

yep, lots of people had this problem on some shuttle forums, they won't boot, iirc the cure is to boot with one card, install the newest drivers ATi, and then put the new card in.

Still, that 250W seems a little skimpy.

good luck,

-Jackson

They are aware of the problem, but to date have no solution."

Well, that's a little better than the manufacturers that swear there is no problem...until they finally have a solution.

The solution Jackson offered will sometimes work but, I tend to agree with your conclusion. Some research will likely point to a card that will work with your 4550 and I'd personally prefer video that ain't problematic to begin with.

A vanilla 6600 out performs the x1300 and the 6600GT just slays it. Might just be the time to check out the GeForce cards if the x1300/x1600 ati stuff is gonna be a constant hassle.

Most modern Dell machines will accept an off the shelf psu but carefully check if that's so before you consider changing the psu.

Best of luck...please keep us informed.

Skip

Let me ask, what exactly are you looking to do with this card?

oh, and if you're looking to play F.E.A.R., don't get an ATi, my coworker had nothing but problems :) (I'm a huge nVidia fan boy)

-Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back