Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATi video 4x AGP compatibility probs w/ Dell Dim4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
I have a number of AGP cards available, but several will not fit in the slot of this Dimension4300 (hmmm?) The machine's specs show it has 4x agp. Is there a slot type difference that prevents certain card types from being used? The card I really want to use is an ATi Rage 128 32mb (great card!), but it will not initialize and hangs the system. It does fit into the slot.

I have tried Nvidia GX200 16mb and a GV2000 (Pine?) 32mb AGP card in this system which both work. The original card from Dell was tossed because it's failure was trashing the whole system's operation. Any ideas out there?

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

There are, in fact, different AGP slots. One slot is intended for 1.5v cards and the other for 3.3v cards.

When say the card you want to use will not initialize and hangs the system, at what point? Upon boot or when loading Windows?

OK, thanks ANFPS26 for the article. There was a link within that article that led to the revelation that Intel i845-based boards (which this Dell has) will ONLY support 1.5volt AGP cards, so my conclusion is that this ATi card must require 3.3volts. Oh well! Seems there is more to finding a vid card than just making sure it's 4x AGP.

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back