Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Raedon X800Xt vs Geforce 6800

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS142317009

Technical User
Aug 9, 2006
US
I am debating between getting the ASUS Geforce 6800N or the ATI Raedon X800XT. Ideas? One has 512mb of memory witho nly a 128mb interface the other only has 256mb of memory but a 256 mb interface.

This is going to be used primarly for rendering and video editing als ofor every day use. I am not a huge gamer but i wouldn't mind the possibility of being able to play a few games every now and then BUT like i said mostly for video editing and running maya 3D and photoshop CS2

Well the ATI Radeon X800XT is by far the more powerful of the two and is actually slightly faster than a full 256bit 16pipeline 6800GT, it also uses faster DDR3 memory.

This 6800N has fairly low memory and GPU core speeds at around 325/700, so don't be seduced into thinking just because it is endowed with double the amount of memory it is better, the 128bit interface and slower timings definately make this the slower card.

The only slight downside is the ATI card does not have pixel shader 3.0 instructions so in certain games looses out on some subtle eye candy but for your particular uses it is overall the better product.

Martin

One last note* remember video editting is primarily a CPU intensive task and so is not dramatically effected by the graphics card itself.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back