Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Radeon HD4650 on Asus motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

damipera

Technical User
Dec 1, 2005
GB
Hello, I just bought this ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB DDR2 128bit video card and I can't seem to make it to work. I've followed the direction in the manual but the monitor says that there's no video input.

Is this compatible with my Asus P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard? Because I asked around and was told that it is.

I've got a Windows XP.

Thanks for any inputs.

do you get any video on post?

I have an Asus P8P67 Pro and an ATI HD4780 working OK.

Did you upgrade your PSU when you upgraded the vid card as the power requirements are higher than the intergrated one on the mobo.

did you tell the bios to use the PCI-e slot instead of the intergrated video and if you plug the vga into the intergrated do you get video?

do you have an atx24v PSU with the extra 4 pins on the mobo power socket for powering the PCI slot or does the radeon have a 6 pin power connector on it?

Have you upgraded to the latest BIOS?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Do you get video on the internal video out with the card removed? If so, try reseating the card, and making sure it has a good fit, front to back in the slot, and move the video cable to the external card, and see if you have video, if not, move it back and see if video is still available on the internal port. May have to go into cmos and set video first to PEG, move cable back and reboot.

Yes that card should work fine with that mainboard...

as mentioned check the BIOS setup (CMOS) for the VIDEO setting and make sure that PEG is selected, as it does sound like it is not initializing the video card...

see section 2.4.4 page 2-13 of the manual... ;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

hi guys,

my psu is:
x-power atx-400pte
ac input 230vac 5a
dc output 3.3v 5v 12v -5v -12v 5v
max a 35a 36a 15a 1a 1a 2a
+5v & +3.3v combined 200w
peak output 400w

i went to:
bios >
advance >
chipset >
northbridge configuration >

-initiate graphic adapter (options are: IGD, PCI/IGD, PCI/PEG, PCG/IGD, PEG/PCI)-- i chose PCI/PEG and later tried PEG/PCI but still didn't work.

- internal graphics mode select (options: disabled, enabled1MB, enabled8MB--should i choose disabled?)

- video function configuration(should i change this also?)
dvmt mode select
dvmt/fixed memory

the radeon doesn't have any 6 pin power connector on it.

and yes, i also plugged into the new video card but didn't work. i put back the cable to the internal video and it's working.

i'm lost, i dont know what to do next

leave it at PEG/PCI...

- internal graphics mode select (options: disabled, enabled1MB, enabled8MB--should i choose disabled?)
set it to disabled, and hook the monitor cable to the GFX card... then it should work...

in my opinion, your PSU is underpowered;

the HD 4650 uses ca. 90W at idle, 130W on average, and under full load about 150W...

your PSU rated at 400W @ 80% efficiency, only delivers around 320W of stable power. Now take 100W for the graphics card away, that would leave 220W for the mainboard, drives, RAM, CPU, etc...

Ben

does your psu have the 24 pin power connector and if so is the extra 4 pin connector plugged into the mobo?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

hi guys, just to update you.

i checked my psu and its 4pins is connected to the mobo socket. my peak radeon hd4650 doesn't have anything on it that suggests it needs power leads that connects to the mobo.

i tried reseating the card but still no video, still black screen but i hear my machine booting.

suspecting that my psu lacks power for all of these, so i disconnected the power for dvd drive and the slave hard drive but still didn't do it.

on the bios bit, i selected peg/pci and disabled the internal graphics. it didn't do it still.

im stuck, ive run out of things to try.

sounds more and more like that that card has problems, or the PCIe slot is damaged...

only way to tell would be to try ANOTHER graphics card... or have a friend/shop test the 4650 in one of their PC's, if it works there, then either the PCIe Slot has a problem or the PSU just ain't up to par... if it doesn't work in their PC then the card is just bad...

if it lights up with another card, then the slot is OK and the card defunct...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back