Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Radeon 7500 - won't capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon99

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
CA
I installed my ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7500 on my system recently (PIII 866, 192 MB RAM, Win2000, SP3). The capture worked fine, but I couldn't get TV Player/Tuner to work. I loaded the newest drivers from ATI, uninstalled and reinstalled (several times), following the instructions exactly. I don't have an onboard video option in my BIOS (that I could find).

Eventually I downloaded Multimedia Center 7.7 and ran the systems checks on it. It told me my DirectX 8.1 wasn't installed properly. I reinstalled it from the ATI CD that came with my card - still no dice. I decided to bite the bullet and install Directx 9.0 from Microsoft - since I'm on Win2000 it appears that I can't remove DirectX 9 without rebuilding Windows from scratch (and I really don't want to do that again so soon, if possible).

Fortunately, after reinstalling the card and drivers again, the TV Player worked. Unfortunately now Capture doesn't. Sigh. I've put the latest drivers back on. When I do the system test in Multimedia Center I still get the same error saying that DirectX components are not installed properly (oddly, in the "passed" column though, it does list DirectX).

I'm using Ulead Video Studio 6, that came with the card to try to capture. I also have Ulead DVD Movie Factory from before - previously, capture had worked fine in both. Now, when I open them up and go to capture, I get just a flash of a picture and then the error "vstudio.exe had generated errors and will be closed by Windows). For Movie Factory, I get an brief glimpse of the picture from the tv input, and then it shuts down, but without an error message. At one point during my attempts, I also got the message "unable to switch to capture mode, check if your video capture driver is working properly".

I've done a bunch of searching for info. on Google, at ATI, and at this site, but haven't had any luck so far. I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

found some answers to my problems with ati 7500 on a gaming web site. every time i ran a check it came back saying that dx8 was not installed properly. this is a flaw with the card and ati. i had to go thru driver archives and found one that works flawlessly. have had no problems since, fingers crossed. sometimes the latest drivers are not the answer, with ATI. did you read their notes right above the latest drivers.

Well, after several attempts I got it working. I've got DirectX 9.0, and the older drivers from ATI that came with the CD, and for some reason this seems to work. Although the "Library" option still doesn't work. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks!

there is so much installed on my computer from the ATI disk that I havent even looked at the library. a lot of good stuff and a lot of junk. one day when i get really bored and cant find anything else to do i will go thru all this ATI and see what it does. good luck PEARL

I Have the same exact problem with tuner not showing up / working on WinXP, but it shouldn't be a directx problem on XP.

I tried drivers on cd and newest ones online, everything installs fine except the WDM tv audio crossover. Would this cause the TV tuner program not to work?

thanks!

For Avalon99 (or someelse who may help me)

I'm having problems with my ati 7500 aiw also. But I still didn't get it solved. As you reported, all works fine except video captureing.

I'm installing the ati drivers from CD, but it seems that de DirectX supplied isn't 8.1 or higher as request. I's also used dx 9 but didn't get any results.

The only thing I got working was install win xp and a driver I found somewhere wxp-w2k-randeon.....exe (don't remember the version right now), but the audio wasn't capture.

So,
did you get a solution to make it capture? If so, what steps did you take ?

Thanks for your help.
Almir.

Like I said, I just kept uninstalling/reinstalling the card and playing with various drivers. Multimedia Center still tells me my DirectX isn't installed properly, but for some reason everything is working (and I'm afraid to change anything now). :) When I uninstalled, I booted up in safe mode, went to add/remove programs and took out everything that started with ATI, plus Hydravision etc. I rebooted and let the system find its own drivers - version 5.13.1.6037. It still occasionally stops working, but I just reboot and that seems to help. I wish I could be more specific - one moment it didn't work, the next it did.

I got Library to work by selecting Movie only (I guess it doesn't want to search for both movies and music). Of course, it turns out it's not very useful so it doesn't really matter.

Hope this helps!

this is a flaw in ATI software dx is installed right. i got the same error and found some great help doing a little googleing. found a few game websites that also was a lot more help than ATI support. i can not remember exactly where i read about the dx error. wish i could help more, like i said do some searching and you will find your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back