Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Radeon 64mb Display HUGE problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
SIMPLE: No display when hooked up. The monitor seems to recieve NO signal. I'm running win 2000, and when running off another video card, windows won't even recognize that there is a card there. The computer ran fine with ATI rage fury maxx, <which I just sold>, but won't with this card. The card is BRAND NEW out of the box. The setup program on the driver Cd gives me the

&quot;Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure
you have the required hardware or software.&quot;

And setup quits. Here is the txt file I sent ati support.

---------Graphics card: Radeon 64mb. New out of box.--------
No driver installed.

PC
Mainboard: VIA VT82C586B S7-SB 9843CE Taiwan 12I002400
On a white sticker on the mainboard: S7-MVP3 REV .1.2

CPU
AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
AT/AT compatable
Bios: Award
261,684 PCI 100 RAM

Monitor: HP Pavilion M40 14&quot; with newest drivers.

Other add-in boards: Sound card.
Networking card.
Scusi Card.
Display Card: Matrox Millennium PCI (I had to use it to see anything. Details later.)

Problem:
I start up the computer after installing the Radeon Correctly, only to find that NOTHING
shows up on the screen. There is no other display card in the computer. I then put my
Mellennium back in, hook the monitor input back to the millinium, startup, and everything
else works fine. No problems. It didn't detect my 3D card though, so I insert the CD, run
the setup, and try to install the drivers. Gives me &quot;Setup was unable to find components
that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure
you have the required hardware or software.&quot;

To sum it up, my system dosen't recognize the card as being plugged in, and hence, the drivers
won't install. No, it dosen't detect it when starting up, at the bios screen either.
No display gets through the card at all. What is wrong? I ran the ATI RAGE FURY MAXX fine, no
problems at all.

Please help.

---------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I like playing with TGML :)
-Suthern

so your system works fine with a pci video card, but not with an agp card (i assume you new one is agp)? listen for the bios &quot;beep code&quot; when you boot up... if everything is normal you should here a single &quot;beep&quot;, if you have a hardware problem the beep code will sound a little different. the beep code for video problems is something like &quot;beep-ba-beep-beep&quot;. the only other thing i can think of off hand is make sure the card is _completely_ seated, agp cards tend to fit a little snug, so it's easy to think they are seated all they way when they are not.

hope this helps!

OK. The beep code is 1long, 3 short. Acording to a differn't site, that means memory failure. So took switched around the RAM in differn't order, tried taking all but one out,ect... IT still beeped the code, and no display. Then here is something else. When I put my millenium back in, but keeped cable hoocked to radeon, no beepes!!!! Don't ask what my millenium has to do with the beeps. I've tried reseatgin it,,, it seams to go in a bit easy.. The fan DOES run on it, but that dosen't mean much. :) Any more help would be appreciated also. And thankyou for replying htm3.

I got it to work fine. For everyone else who will be looking at this post, try this. Shut down your computer, pull out the card, push it back in unitill you are SURE it is all the way in. Mine wasen't.. start up and it should work. :)

Yes, I'm posting AGAIN! :) Now I ran into another problem. Running win 2000, I get horible refresh rates and display colors. 16 colors aint much. The radeon properties under divice manager give one error.

&quot;This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device.&quot;

I restart and restart. No change. Another e-mail is on its way to the ati support group. :)

-Suthern

P.S. all the troubleshoot button does is display a help diologe that tells you that your device isan't there or it isan't properly installed. I got no &quot;severe&quot; warnings when installing it.

Hello, I was curious as to how you were able to fix the problem with the 16 colors on the monitor, and what not. I have my own Radeon 32MB DDR card on Windows 2000, and I am neither able to get the enhanced ATI panels (in the settings/advanced tab) nor the ability to change the monitor properties. It just keeps going to &quot;default monitor.&quot; Also, when I did get it up for 1 session, it said my monitor was DDC-Compliant, but in the ATI Problem Report it is not detected, as with DirectX. ...please respond ASAP (I have an HP S40 14&quot;).

Please go to
it is the best place for support of any kind using any ATI graphics product. Please try it.

2nd option:

box up the card and send it back for replacement.

-Suthern

One thing that was never mentioned in this thread is that if you install an AGP video card and you were previously using a PCI video card you probably have to set primary video display to AGP in BIOS (depending on your BIOS I assume)

HUGE UPDATE:
I sent the card back, and got a new one with a note saying that indeed, the old one was bad. :). I now proceede to install the new one, only to find it has the SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!! I go out and buy a new hard drive (the old HD was getting slower and slower. took 25mins for comp to start up!!) Maxtor 30gig 7200 RPM. Anyway, I install windows 2000 on the HD, reboot a couple of times, check bios settings. I then install the NEWEST drivers for the RADEON. guess what? SAME PROBLEM!!

Conclusion:
1-The only thing that was the same between the two systems now, is the PC100 RAM. This MIGHT be the problem.
2-ATI sends out cards that don't work, or arn't tested properly.
3-mabey this card just ISAN'T compattible with my Mbord for some reason.

SHould I send this card back in also? Should I buy better RAM? <I'm running win2k on 128 PC100.>

Thank you again,
-Suthern

I might suggest you try removing your ATI card from the AGP slot in your computer after first deleting any entry in your device manager that refers to the card. Then start your system once with no card installed. You can use safe mode if you like so it simply uses VGA 16 colors. Then shut off the PC and reinstall the card in the slot securely and then restart. Hopefully the PC will then recognize new hardware. I have found this to benecessary in the past and had it work. Good luck.

I've only done the above about 10 times, plus removing itmes from the registry. TY for the suggustion anyway. I've found it usefull with other cards, but this one defies the methods.

-Suthern

Ok, apparently the cards drivers didn't like an evaluation version of windows. :( I got windows 2000 pro now, and now don't get the error 10. If you want to follow up on my problems, see the post &quot;inaccessible_BOOT_device win2k pro&quot; in the &quot;PC hardware - Genaral disccusion&quot; forum.

-Suthern

Hey suthern - I just picked up an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO card and had much the same trouble as you for a little while. The drivers just wouldn't install. To get them to install you have to first set up the display adapter as being the generic VGA PCI adapter in display settings in the control panel. Anything other than that (even older ATI products) and the drivers won't install. Hope this helps...

ok, I've already solved the problem. I'm now running fine of win2k pro sp2 1.2gigcpu, and the vid card. Games are cool!

Hello, I have setup my computer with 2 video cards(2 monitors). the first card is:
1-all in wonder 32mg AGP
2-ati 3-d rage II PCI
and i got it to work with multi monitors but the only problem i have is the &quot;TV player failed to initialize the video) and when i try install multimedia center again it tells me there is no ati card available.
if anyone has the solution to this problem i would greatly appreciate it if you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back