Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI Problems and Microsoft Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobis

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
Hi All, could use some help , I'm using XP Home Ed. and my computer is acting weird, can't tell if it's from updates or some Virus. The symptoms are :
1.can't open video files recorded on ATI AIW 2006 edition video card with ATI software or WMP.
2.When trying to open Microsoft Office apps it tells me to run setup from the original location which it was installed.
3. When trying to open anything to do with ATI or Ms Office Computer locks up.

Mobo=DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity w/2gigRam
Proc.=AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2ghz
ATI All in Wonder 2006 edition PCI Express x1300
microsoft xp home edition service pack 2

Try Safe Mode, and also try another user in Normal Mode.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Try the free version of "Ewido"

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back