Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI AIW 128 Problem with 1024x768

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsams

Programmer
Aug 22, 2000
US
ATI AIW 128 Rage Pro - AGP video, NEC 15" monitor, Win98SE. Normally run the video at 800x600 and occasionally switched to 1024x768 to run video editors.

Something has changed however and now when I try to switch to 1024x768 resolution, the screen size increases, but does not shrink down to fit the viewing area. I have to use the mouse to navigate to the top, sides, and bottom (sliding the screen around under the viewing area).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ATI video/TV system to no avail. I have also tried different refresh rates (normally set to Adapter-Optimal). Have been thru every panel in the ATI control system. Other than this one problem, video and TV tuner/capture is working just fine.

Any ideas?

John

You should be running this TFT (as with all TFT's) at it's default native resolution (pretty sure that's 1024 x 768 on this 15inch screen)
the refresh default may well be just 60htz
Most TFT's have an auto set and when pressed the screen should resize to fill the screen.
Allso check to see if drivers are loaded properly for the card.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks for the reply Martin, but the monitor is not an LCD. I think its the F3GE. Its a tube type, which it were and LCD tho!

Computer is a tower cased Gigabyte mobo with and AMD XP2000.

John

What version of the Catalyst drivers are you running, and how long has it been since you updated? My 9700 is using version 4.8 (version 9.2 of MMC).

I remember ATI used to have this on the Rage boards. Gaah I don't remember the exact term that they used. You can have a fixed resolution display, but set your workplace to be larger, so that your display pans into the larger workplace.
This a box that you had to enable in the display settings when you right-click the mouse over the wallpaper.

This board is a legacy card, last update for it was in '01 and ATI has not offered any upgrades since. It the tv tuner software will not work in XP, so that is one reason why I am still on Win98SE.

You have it nailed "felixc", but it didn't used to do that, I was able to switch between 800x600 and 1024x724 and have the screen resize to fit the display window.

There has been a lot of software under the bridge and darned if I can think what might have messed it up. I did another complete un-install and re-install this evening and still no change. Even uninstalled my Logitech wireless mouse to see if maybe that had caused it.

Still looking.

John

I tought it was my Rage128 that had this feature, but it's my older 3D-Rage.

I don't have it installed, but I still have the CD. They say about the panning function that it is enabled in the ATI desktop.

Well, my Rage128 might have the ATI desktop utility but I never installed this piece of software. I just used the plain driver.

Found it!

A co-worker suggested I change the monitor type to generic SVGA 1024x768 and try it. It worked, I was then able to resize the screen to the viewing area for 1024x768. Reset the monitor back to NEC 3FGe and everything is working just fine. Guess the settings for the monitor got "lost" or "confused" somewhere along the line.

Thanks to all who offered help.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back