Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ati 9.3 Catalyst and X1950 Pro 512mb Agp,Keep getting Host App.Error? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi,Never had this problem before now.I have a fresh install of windows Xp Pro,all update's done on windows update.net framework 3.5,and C++ 2005 updated etc.Have a X1950 pro 512mb agp card installed,trend micro security 2009 disabled for install.Installed Ati Radeon 9.3 catalyst drivers as instructed,all went fine on install.Catalyst control working ok after install.The problem I'm having is when I boot up I get a Error that says(Catalyst Control Centre:Host Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.)? This is driving me nut's? Is it because of 9.3 drivers?Do I need to go back to 9.2? I never had this before,seems to be only when I do a hard boot.Anyone else have this problem in Windows Xp Pro Sp2? Never had it before,always something new.Any help here would be awesome.Thanks

hi,I have 1.1,2.0.3.0.and 3.5 in add a remove programs.all these where done through windows update,after a fresh install of windows Xp Sp2.Will try this driver sweeper.

Well I don't know why,someone told me sp3 has problems,so I didn't update it to sp3.I reinstalled Ati driver 9.2 and all is well? weird I guess it didn't like 9.3 Catalyst.It's working now.What do you think of Sp3 for a gaming machine? I heard compatibility issues with games etc.Thanks for any info.

I've no problems with Sp3 and games, Fallout3, Crysis, Dead Space, etc. run nicely... no compatibility probs encountered so far...

there is nothing wrong with using SP2, if the PC you are using it on, doesn't connect to the internet, e.g. is only used for gaming...

PS: on my work PC I have an ATI 1650, and managed to install the drivers for 9.4, but I had to do it around about way...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I had my X1950 Pro 512mb overclocked in the catalyst control panel in 9.2 always ran fine before at 601-736 ran at 45c and up to 52c cranked.Now I was getting that host application error,so i stopped the overclock in ccc and now the error's gone? what's up with that? was ok before I formatted the hard drive,and reinstalled everything,including all updates for windows...well no overclock in ccc and the error is gone.guess that's the way it is.

Timings may have changed, or RAM may have overheated and/or it was already borderline...

if you want to OC it, I would do it again starting with small steps until you receive that error again, and then cut back ca. 10% on the settings...

or try one of the many tweaked drivers...

e.g. DNA ATI 9.2 Drivers

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back