Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon 64 temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaikh01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
GB
What's the recommended temperature for an Athlon 64 3200, I have one with an Abit Motherboard and at first it was running 65 on idle. then i replaced the heatsink and fan with a zalman one and now it runs at 58 on idle. Is this too high. On some places on the internet people mentioned that they updated bios and it solved their problems.
Any ideas......

A good question is half of knowledge

hmm, yes that is quite high...

mine runs at 40-43 idle, and 50-55 full load, and I still think that's a little on the high side...

keep the thing under 60 and u'll be fine, over 60, and u risk instability, over 70, u risk crashes/locks..., over 80 and u can look forward to a nice barbequed chip...

Procrastinate Now!

Anything under 60ºC should be fine as Crowley said. Anything between 60º - 70ºC is fine too, but the higher you go in this range, the more you shorten the life of the CPU. Instability isn't really an issue until you go over 70º. The max operating temp is 85ºC.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Go to the AMD site and look for information on your CPU. It may take a while, but eventually you will find a "white paper" with all the info you need. Normal running temp - max temp - etc.

Anybody know a "motherboard monitor" equivalent that works on the Abit Athlon 64 board?

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back