Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon 2400+ on MSI K7T266 Pro 2 2.0 (6380)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMax

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
US
MSI doesn't recommend it. The highest processor they recommend is a 2100+ (Palamino)They don't say why. I talked to an MSI tech and he couldn't make a recommendation but hinted that the recommendation was a marketing decision to get people to upgrade their mainboard. Makes sense.

I thought I should be able to use the 2400+ because it still operates at 266 mhz. The only hang is that the 2400+ is a Thoroughbred rather than a Palamino. Should this matter to the board? I plan to put a very highend heatsink/fan on it and I have a 400 watt CONTINUOUS Enermax power supply.

I currently have a 1200/266 processor that is doing well, so I hate to risk it unless I know it will improve performance significantly, especially while multi-tasking with XP. I can't find any discussion on this topic. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's the Thoroughbred cored XP's that this and other slightly older motherboards have a problems with.
I dought if capping the upgrade path for a certain motherboard would necessarily lead to you buying the latest MSI replacement, you may indeed opt for a differant make, so I would personally take what the MSI tech said as pure guesswork.
It does seem a shame bottle necking the XP2.4+ with the older chipset on the MSI 63080, might be time to get an Nforce2 400. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I basically agree to paparazi:
AMD changed the core while stepping from palomino to thoroughbred. So if you can't get your hand on a bios-update specifically supporting a XP2400 stick to your 1200 or get yourself an nForce 2. Get the actual revision for fsb200 support and forget about the thoroughbred: get yourself a barton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back