Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon 1.4 bus speed and mulitplyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello..
I just bought and installed my new 1.4 athlon on the asus a7v266 M/B..
I went in the bio for the first time and set the cpu detection to automatic..
the M/B used the following setting :
external bus :133Mhz
mulitipler: 10.5
Is that suppose to be the right setting for the 1,4ghz?
I thought the external bus is like 266mhz or something?
Please help me to get it's full potential...
Thanks

Multiply your 133 cpu speed by the 10.5 multiplier and you get 1.3965 as your 1.4 gig cpu. Hope this helps.

Well i need to know if that is the correct setting or not...

Yes, That is the correct setting. If you were to set your cpu to a speed of 100, then you would need to use a higher multiplier (14x) to attain the correct speed. I burned up a 1.2 Gig cpu by using a 12x multiplier when the cpu was set to 133 Mhz which overclocked it to 1.6 Gig. It lasted less than three minutes. Carelessness on my part and costly to.

Hello Padme88:
LOL
i think u mixed up the frequencies... 266MHz means your CPU's front side bus, which has no realtions to the CPU external bus. This 266MHz thing determines what ram u should be using, which in this case is the DDR RAM. The external bus "133MHz" tells you how much frequency the cpu should produce, and eventually it will be 1400MHz. Therefore, your setting is right!
:)I
i m using amd 1.4ghz tooooo, with the older asus a7a266 mb. For your information, although amd or asus didn't say, the a7a266 actually support 1.4GHz, and can you can overclock the cpu even more!!!
B-)
If u are still puzzled, try to lower the external bus to other odd number, and u will get some other speeds after you restart.

I also am running an AMD 1400MHz CPU and the A7A266 mobo. However, I am having crazy heat problems! Chrono what are your heat reading of your CPU? I have been told that around 40C is good after high use, CounterStrike game. I am running 55-65C, idle to high, and if I keep running it'll go to 70C. I know this is not right and I think it might be my mobo. Did you ever experience the same problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back