Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATAPI Incompatibility, Really need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyocean

Technical User
Jan 26, 2001
US
I recently added a new 80 gig Western Digital HD and a Memorex CD Burner. I went in an configured to make the new drives the mastes. I decided to reformat my little hd and install a clean version of Windows 2000. Now I start to boot and the machine will not find the 80 gig drive. I reconfigure and make the little HD the master and the only drive it boots, but then tells me that my cd roms are ATAPI incompatible. I then made my on cd-rom the primary and installed the drivers that came with the drive and I still get this message.

What will fix this??

Thanks in Advance,

Danny

1. Have you set the jumpers correctly on hard & CD rom drives?

2. If you attach one device at a time (ie, try booting with just one HD, then just the other, then the CD ROM then the CD writer), does machine complain or not? (btw, is it bios or windows complaining about CD ROMS?)

It is the BIOS. I currently do not have Windows installed. I even reset the the bios back to the original settings. I have tried adding one device at a time.

I am not exactly sure. I bought the machine in early 2000. It is a FIC Motherboard with an Athlon 650 processor.

Danny,

But have you tried each device connected on its own? (to see if any specific device is the problem or the combinations - try them as master and slave on primary & secondary ide if necessary). If they can all connect ok on their own - try different combinations (eg HD & CD ROM on one controller, HD & CD writer on other).

I have not tried that one yet. I will. But why would one hd be recognized by not either of the cd drives.

If the jumper settings are wrong on the drives they will conflict and you will have problems with them Danny.
Do what wolluf has suggested and post back the result.
He knows what he is talking about.
Good Luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Just one note about the jumper settings...you have jumpers on both the hard drives and the CD-Roms...make sure one is set as master and one as slave on one cable connected to the IDE Primary on your motherboard....and do the same for the IDE Secondary connector. You many many different combinations of HD CD, CD CD, HD HD, etc that you could try. There may be some type of incompatibility however, in any case...make sure you have jumpers set right on the hard drives...and the right pin 1 connected to each device and the motherboard...also...some hard drives have a Master setting or single drive, a master with slave setting, and a slave setting, along with cable select....very confusing at best. I have had the best luck with a hard drive paired with a CD Rom and the hard drive set to Master or Single drive (not master with slave) and the CD Rom set to Slave on one cable. Fujitsu pinouts are extremely confusing..make sure you get the pin configurations correct.

I have been configuring both drives in sequence, master slave and both cd roms the same way. Does your way that your mention work better by having a hd as the master and then the cd as the slave?

I remeber one other thing. AS I try to boot from the disk it looks for the cd roms and then it tries to load a generic cd rom drive by Oak Technologies. It never finds the driver. Where could I get a new version of this driver?

Danny...
it is the ONLY way.

One device HAS to be master, and the other slave on each cable for them to work!!!!!

There are CDRom drivers on your windows disk.

Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

that old oak.sys driver was used for win 95 years ago....i don't think there was ever an update to it. I still have the driver on an old boot disk but it is a backup method for getting a cd rom to work and requires loading by config.sys if you are using win 95/98. As for the master/slave arrangement...yes I have the hard drive set as master and the cdrom set as slave on one cable.

I tried all the combinations and nothing new happened. I flashed my BIOS and now the machine will recognize my 80 gig drive. I am still getting the ATAPI Incompatible message.

Any new suggestions??

Try this...
1. Hdd's, jumpered Master/slave on Primary controller.
2. CD-ROM & CD/RW, jumpered Master/Slave on Secondary controller.
3. DISABLE SECONDARY CONTROLLER IN THE BIOS.
4. Re-start and see if Windows finds the CD's.

This configuration works on Gateways in the 300-400Mhz processor systems, may work on some others... The test continues...

Pudda,

I read your post and thank you for your response. I just want to clarify that I should put the CD drives on the secondary controller and then disable the controller??

Danny

Yes, that is what Gateway's tech support had me do with a system. Worked, suprisingly. Don't know if it will for yours but can't hurt, you can always change it back. The test continues...

I decided to replace the ribbon cable for my CD Roms and that solved the problem.

Thanks for all your help,

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back