Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA Modem on a T1 Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGPR

MIS
Jun 18, 2003
PR
We have a T1 connecting two locations sharing voice/data. From location 1 calls are originated by a PC (ATA-connected) using the T1 link, dialing 8 and location's 2 ext. number where another PC is to answer and initiate data transmision.

The situation: When location 2 answers, modems hand-shaking does not complete, and the link never materializes. IF THE CALL IS ORIGINATED FROM OUTSIDE THE INTERNAL PHONE NETWORK TO LOCATION'S 2 DN, THE LINK BECOMES ACTIVE.

Does the Compact ICS send different voltage/signaling to the ATA when calls are via the T1 (vs PTN)? If that is the case, how can it be handled in order for the ATA-modem to connect?

Is data in any way "forbiden" in a Compact ICS voice channel?

Any help is welcome...

You have speed limitations when using ATA. Depends on which type you are using. The ATA-2's support up to 28.8 kb
Make sure you have the ATA in tones OFF mode by doing a Link # 809 from an analog set connected to it before connecting modem.

No, data is not "forbiden" in the CICS voice channel. The channel is actually digital anyway.

MarvO said it

You don't say how the the T1 between the two locations connects to the the CICS's... if you're using channelbanks, then you've got double analog-to-digital conversions (pc/ata to CICS, CICS to channel bank, accross t1, channelbank to CICIS, CICS to ata/PC) and while it should technially allow a link, it will probably only be a slower one. Have you tried forcing the connection speed to 9600b? Why aren't you using the data portion of the T1 to do the data transfer?

if any of you are lookin for a real good piece of equipment to manage your data netwok as well as your voice just go look at this stuff
and look at the Adit 600

I am not tryin to sell them and I DO NOT work for them .
We just use to have a bunch of telco provided channel banks and these we able to eliminate those as well as open the door to so many other possibilites.

They are basicly a Mini DAX allowing a digital cross connect allowing for better trouble shooting abailites as well as the power to do fraiming and linecodeing conversions.. It even does signaling conversions as long as u come out one of the FXS cards.. T1 2 T1 it just passes the signaling thu

If I said it, It has to be true.
Mario Mazza

The T1 is connected via a Mot.Vanguard router with 4 voice and 1 data channels. We are trying to avoid a regular call by using the T1 access; the two connecting ends for this application are not part of the data network, hardware is already in place to manage a "voice/data" call, and the data channel is not yet in use.

Yes I have tried from 1200 to 56k without a variation in the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back