Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA II versus VMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbnortel

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
What are the differences in and ATAII and VMI other that 2 digital to analog circuits

Please help

Thanks but I dont know what that is? Are there any other benefits or should I go with 2 ataII?

ata = analog terminal adapter, which converts the properietery norstar port to a standard analog phone port

vmi = voice mail interface ...desinged for interfacing with 3rd party voicemails, as said by jsaad

Could a VMI be used as an ATA?

I know the ATA's have issues with DS and maybe that's a work around. I have never even given the VMI any thought before, we never use them. Interesting!

It sounds as if they simply work the same way but:

Is it the same as 2 ata's or does it offer more features such as the in the system beleiving there is a vm unit attached and the dtad would simply monitor the the vmi for input.

Please help...

The VMI will disconnet faster allowing better access to vmail. Also this could save you $$ if you 800 numbers comming in and hitting that mail.

thanks Hawk I ask due to the fact the boss in on the cheap side and we (3) hate the phone systems vm (Cavalier Phone ) while it answers the lines from the hunt group it does not allow for internal voicemail. If someone call and we answer then we take a message. We write it down and hope it get to the right person , very small office but stretched over 4 floors. I run the banquet area and boss and sales person on other floors. I had ordered the ATAII for the fax machine and decided to set it up with a nortel that had an answering machine and see what would happen. works ok but there is no message waiting alert. Its in the basement. I also noticed that the phone on the ata does not get the line info ( ours is in ext 42) when the Phone rings the call is unknown to the answer machine so there is no way for it to signal there is a message. I was oping that the vmimay do a little more but it does not seems to. Still the setup i'm using works and I can change the phone Answerer to a 2 line phone to cover the second line and all should work. What do you guys think??

Well I have seen some not too expensive Answering machines that will call out to your cell to let you now you have a message, get one and have it call the Hunt Groups DN # instead of a cell phone #, this way everybody will be notified of a message.

When was the last time you had a quote on a Norstar Vmail? The new Call Pilot 100 is for you and is cheaper then the last model (Flash Talk).

Dont forget if you have no pen handy you can transfer the caller to ext 42 to leave a message....nut thats just your secret lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back