Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA Hdd's - IDE RAID setup - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexth

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
CA
Hi! I have a computer with an Abit KT7 mainboard with onboard ide raid. Have 2 maxtor 60 gig hdd's and want to set up a raid 1 (disk mirroring) with the drives. Am installing Win2000 with an NTFS file system. I followed instructions and setup the raid in the BIOS - choosing drive, raid type, and setting up the raid. Made a floppy with the HPT370 drivers and then installed Win2000 - the OS asked for and found the driver.
During the installation I created a partition on the first drive and formatted with NTFS. Partitioned the second drive but was not asked to format it. Windows then went on to install. Seemed OK. Decided , as the second drive was not formatted, to format it while windows was booted up so formatted the second hdd with NTFS file partition. Re-booted the computer but it just kept re-booting. Something is wrong but I don't know enough about IDE RAId systems to diagnose the problem and fix it. Please help.
Thank you in advance for any of your posts.
Thanks again [thumbsup2]

if windows saw both disks, they are not mirrored by the controller.

Hi again! Yes, you are correct, thegrey, the drives were not properly raid-ed. Removed both partitions and reformatted both drives. This time I set up the BIOS with the CDROM as the first boot device - the 2nd and 3d boot devices as ATA100 Raid.
Just installed win2000 on the first drive and left the second drive alone. Windows installed OK. Then setup the raid in the BIOS. The second drive is hidden and Win2000 just sees one C drive. On boot up it shows the raid. Worked out the problem myself but thanks for your post. A more difficult problem to solve evidenced by the few posts I received. Again thanks for your post.
Best Wishes [spin2]

remmov

I am in the same boat (but newer HPT374 controller

I have WinXP running on MAster#1 (60Gb) and a blank IBM60Gb
now on Master #2

DId you Copy and CREATE the RAID array and NOT loose data? In the bios it is NOT clear however which is sorce and destination. How did you know this? I am ASSuming that Master#1 should be source (it says BOOT) and Master #2 should be destination. It would be nice if you could choose this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back