Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATA-2 connected to an analog external ringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazarus72

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2016
US
I have a Norstar phone at a location where the users cannot hear the phone ring. I need to increase the ringing volume louder than the max on the phone. I could only find one external ringer that is compatible with Norstar phones but it's a little expensive. I was thinking instead of getting an ATA-2 and then connecting a cheap external ringer that works of analog. My problem is this : An ATA-2 uses a station port, can I change the DN that is given with the port to the same DN that is on the phone I need to ring louder? As I need the external ringer to trigger when the phone rings. Also, the Norstar phone has Answer DN's, will they also alert the external ringer? Any tips on how to program the ATA to meet my needs would be helpful. And if anybody also knows of any other external ringers that are compatible with Norstar. Thank you.

Here is one:

A proper ringer is cheaper than an ATA and a Ringer ontop of that, not needed.

Just hook it up to the AUX port on the KSU and program AUX Ring = YES on each set required.

As for ATA you cannot share DN's
ATA's cannot except Answer DN's so you would have to reverse engineer and make the ATA the persons DN and put an Answer DN key on their set for the ATA's DN.
It's a messy thing to do though.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thx for the quick response. Yes, that was the ringer I came across, somewhere between $120 and $140, but I guess that's my only option. That ringer though looks like it's easily installed with a modular cable connected to the headset port, no need for an Aux port connection, correct?

As long as its no more than 15 feet from the phone but using the proper AUX port on the KSU is by far your best option.
Stop trying to cut corners!!! lol

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

You can do the ATA with a ringer and ANS DN. You can't put an ANS DN on an analog, but you can change the ATA DN to the that of the digital set and give the digital set a new DN. Then put an ANS DN on the digital set of the analog set. Because everyone knows the old DN thats what they'll dial. The digital set and the ATA will ring. Just make sure you change ANS DN type to extended.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back