Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT Modem Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlitos71

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2004
US
I am looking to see if there is a modem command that will disconnect after a period of inactivity.

The modem connection is through a Wyse 60 dumb terminal through a US Robotics Sportster modem. The connection to our remote customer is made modem to modem.

What I am looking for a a script or at command that will disconnect after a period of inactivity.

Thanks.

It will depend upon the terminal programme you're using. I still use Procomm Plus (not for Internet connection!!), and that has a WAITFOR command which allows a time period to be added. I am sure one could add a received message, command, or acknowledgement for it to act upon. The next line of the script would be IF NOT WAITFOR then do this xxxx etc etc.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

There is no AT command that supports inactivity.

Like G0AOZ says, if you are willing to use a terminal emulator, like Procomm, rather than a physical dumb terminal you could write a script that would terminate the connection after a period of inactivity.

Normally this level of functionality is applied at the application, which in your case would be at the dumb terminal. Since it actually is a "dumb" terminal, there is little hope there. It could however be implemented at the host computer.

pansophic

We do have the Procomm script working with out any problem, the only issue are three dumb terminals that are still in use. I pretty much have figured out a temporary solution with a power switch that automatically shut power at 8pm. But, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back