Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AT commands for Compaq mini PCI 56k

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolendza

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
DE
I have Compaq Armada M700 laptop with Internal Lucent modem (Compaq miniPCI 56k) on COM2 port. I want to use this modem to connect my laptop to the remote modem and in this way to manage the remote DCE equipment.

If I use the external modem on COM1 port I don't have any problems. The cable between COM1 port and external modem has loops DTR-DSR and CTS-RTS on both sides (COM port as well as modem).

If I use an internal modem I can't establish connection with my remote equipment.
I suppose that I have to simulate this DTR-DSR and CTS-RTS loops also on COM2 port and on my internal modem.
Which AT commands should I use to logically make this loops?
I tried with AT&K0 and AT+IFC=0,0 to disable flow control on both sides but it didn't work.

By
Sasha

What application are you using to command your modem? Normally, you set all of this through your terminal emulator, because the modem doesn't care at all.

You should be able to force your application to ignore DTR, and support no flow control, which is the same thing as what you are attempting to do in hardware.

Is it that you cannot establish a connection (modems never sync) or that you are having trouble passing data once the modems connect?

pansophic

Actually I have problems with passing data.
The connection between modems is established (in Hyperterminal window I can see message "Connect 33600 V42bis) but when I close Hyperterminal (connection is not broken because I already set at&d0)and run my aplication there is no data transfer.
The aplication I run is a so called CraftTerminal which is used to supervise Alcatel SDH transmission equipment (ADMs).The only thing I can control in this aplication is selection of COM port

Can you get any data transfer during the HyperTerminal connection?

What about speed (baud) and data settings? Is everything 9600, n, 8, 1? If so, are you fixing the speed on the modem with a
\J1 (forces max DCE to DTE rate),
S37 = 9 (filxes line data rate to 9600),
S38=0 (Disables K56Flex),
S42=0 (disables auto rate negotiation)?

And what about &S0 (Sets DSR to always on)
\N1 (direct mode, no error control),
\Q0 (disable local flow control),
%C0 (disables data compression),
%E0 (Disable fallback/fall forward)?

These commands are from my Lucent modem manual, and aren't necessarily comparable to yours. For my money, I'd start with simple things like &S0, \Q0, %C0 and maybe even \N1. If they don't work, I'd look at doing something more exotic, like fixing the speed.

Isn't the speed fixed at the mux end? I noticed that you were connecting at a 33.6K rate, with V42bis data compression. Does that happen with your external? Much of the telecom equipment that I have connected to is VERY picky about the protocols that you use. I generally end up setting up the modem on the equipment end to connect at 9600 with no error correction or data compression. If I can't get that, the call will just fail.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back