Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus V6600 Capture Problems - Win2k Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greywolf160

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
(Quoted on 9/6/2001) from stylin16 (Visitor) Sep 4, 2001

"I have the same problem with my V7700 Deluxe card.

Asus Live seemed to work fine with the drivers supplied on the cd, but the stereoscopic D3D settings were all greyed out and I was unable to do anything so I installed the latest Beta drivers (12.90 I believe) and the stereoscopic mode would now work. However, the Asus Live is dead. I don't even care about the 3D goggles. I just wanted to see them in action once. I care about the video input and now it is not working at all. I've tried every possible driver combination with every possible Asus Live combination. It is frustrating. I don't understand why I can't go back to the original drivers and make it work that way."

Very good point, Stylin16. Something is really wrong here. From what I've seen, I really don't believe our cards are 100% Win2k compatible, even though they are supposed to be. If anyone HAS a Chrontel Chipset capture card that DOES capture video correctly in Win2k, please pipe up immediately!!!

Since my last post, I formatted and installed Win2k Pro again, followed by the NVidia 2k Detonator drivers v14.40 and Asus Live v4.05 (non-beta, capture driver v1.0- should have nothing to do with video driver.) I tested this and confirmed similar results- an "Unknown Device" appeared in device manager (same IRQ as the v6600) and poor video capture - frame loss in any mode; frame stuttering; field splitting; delayed/echoed frames/fields and/or audio; etc.)

I then applied the IDE BusMaster drivers, AGP Miniport drivers, DirectX 8, DX8 BDA, and Win2k SP2; testing the video capture quality between every step. It never corrected itself or otherwise improved. However, the Event Log piped up after the DirectX8 BDA update- it said "Windows File Protection" wouldn't allow updating the following files to preserve system stability: ksinterf.ax, ksdata.ax, ksvpintf.ax, and ksclockf.ax. I assume these are critical files. Anyone have info or suggestions about this? I'm thinking about forcing it to update, despite the risk.

I then uninstalled Asus Live v4.05, and noted that the "ai2cnt" driver (part of video capture process) was not removed or even disabled. So I uninstalled it, and proceeded to install Asus Live v4.60 beta 5. These newer capture drivers (v1.1) weren't any better. So here I am, with another blank operating system, wondering how in the heck you get this V6600 to work correctly in Win2k!!

When this card was working in Win98se, I never had an "Unknown Device", and I could capture NTSC 704x480@29.9697fps flawlessly using UYVY -> MJPEG compression. This would use about 90% of my Athlon 650 CPU. But now in Win2k, this is totally impossible. Even with MJPEG compression at its lowest setting, it will not capture in any format correctly. The CPU is maxxed out when using the lowest possible compression, when history shows it should only be about 25% used. When capturing in this format, the Asus Live frames counter goes slower than normal but doesn't report nearly as many dropped frames as there actually is- the clock somewhere is off.

If I capture at 352x240@29.97fps now, Asus Live tells me no frames are dropped, but the output AVI is actually 15fps motion with a doubled pair of frames! Not two sampled frames, but two IDENTICAL frames. Sometimes, a frame is recorded as two frames - parts otherwise belonging to a different set of frames or fields. What this tells us is that the capture clock must not be working properly, since it is recording incorrect data at the wrong times. The output AVI should have 30 unique frames per second, not 15, each deinterlaced and not broken in the middle.

If anyone has any ideas, comments, concerns, or just feels like sharing their views with me, please feel free to reply.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back