Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus software being blocked 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKAlbert

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
When I boot my computer running Vista 32 bit, I get a message from Asus Startup Runner asking me whether I want to run AI Booster. Does anyone know how to ALWAYS make it run that program rather than ask me each time? This is not exactly a Vista question, because it is not the normal Allow Deny question. I did not know where else to ask this question.

The next part of this is a Vista problem. I get a message from the System tray saying that Windows has blocked a program. The program it has blocked is Overclk.exe that permits you to change the BIOS setting for overclocking from within Windows. The question is how do I prevent Windows from Blocking this program?

Referring to the second part of your question, it that program unchecked or disabled in the MsConfig tool, or is Windows Defender doing something to it. I vaguely recall a similar message when fiddling with MsConfig.

Well, I turned off Windows Defender (I am using other software)and that did not help. So, I turned off UAC and all the prompting from the System Tray stopped. Overclck.exe must require Administrator approval and that is why it was blocked.

Well, I found a better answer. Manifest files are used to determine the strength of security that is required. It is a text file that Windows uses to determine, among other things, the security that is required. A one line change to make security Level = "asInvoker" instead of Administrator fixes the problem in the System Tray.

Where are these Manifest files located, are they part of Vista, or this Overclck.exe program? If they are part of Vista, do you have any links or details as to their purpose?

Thanks in advance.

This post is similar to yours too, maybe you can help out there?

Blocked Startup Items
thread1583-1345635

This is just one site. It seems to me that some programs provide manifest files (suffix=manifest, in my case it was Overclk.manifest located where the program was stored).

It appears, I am guessing, that this is part of the Java programming system, but I did not research that part of it very thoroughly - it is also part of Linux because it can be a jar file - it is beyond my knowledge base but it is some of what I ran across in trying to solve this thing.

I did find the various elements of the file including the question of security. Whenever the program requires Administrator credentials, then it will be blocked if it is part of the boot process. You will be notified by msconfig in the system tray, at which time you can run it and give any new password as required by your setup. Therefore, if you reduce the security requirement, then it will boot without being blocked. There are several choices for the security, but I do not recall any but "asInvoker".

I will post the file for overclk.exe in the following paragraph:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.1.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="OverClk"
type="win32"/>

<description>SetConsentMode</description>
<!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges>
<requestedExecutionLevel
level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
</assembly>

When I saw in my manifest file that it required administrator privileges, I Googled that word so I found the rest of the syntax. I am not sure which site. If you need me to, I will do some more research and post it. Just let me know.

Hope this helped. I sure learned from this experience.

I'm hope who ever sees this maybe able to take it that extra step, thank you on behalf of other members for posting the link, it should provide a good clue, and should allow members or readers to interpret it and perhaps provide a solution.

LKAlbert

If the manefest file specified that it required Admin rights then it is likely that part of the overclock application will no longer work now you have changed it to run without admin priviledges.

Developers are only suppost to specify that the application needs admin rights if it is integral to the software that it is run that way.

A better option in your case would be to set the application to always run as admin, if you experience any problems with the change you have made.

The way to do this would be to see where the overclck.exe is set to run from. If it is the registry run key then remove it from there. If it is in the Startup folder on the run menu you can change that shortcut to always run as admin, or if you have removed the item from the registry add a shortcut there and set that to always run as admin.

To set a shortcut to always run as admin right click on it > Select Properties > On the Shortcut tab click on the Advanced button > Tick the box that says "Run as Administrator" > Click OK > Click OK.

Hope this helps

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thank you for your comments. I checked and it works properly; it changes the BIOS settings and is also shown under processes. Perhaps "asInvoker" works BECAUSE I do have administrator privileges.

However, in this specific case, I believe that your logic, though sound, is not the reason it was set that way. ASUS refused to help me via email because it was an overclocking issue that might lead to liability for them if they in any way supported overclocking. That they provide this utility seems a paradox, of course, but perhaps lawyers have had their hands in this decision.

However, even though I have Administrator privileges, it will still be blocked unless I explicitly tell it to run from MSCONFIG when it appears in the System Tray and then AGAIN answer the Continue/Cancel question. If I change the Property to Administrator, it would give me a third prompt as it does with other Administrator processes. I am fairly positive that any program that requires Administrative privileges and that is run as part of the boot up process would be blocked by UAC -- I found that in one of the Help files of Vista.

Overclk.exe is not set up now to run as Administrator, at least within the Compatibilities Property. It needs to be part of the boot up because another boot up program, AI Booster that is the GUI interface to overclocking depends upon it. AI Booster shows temperatures and other critical items that need to be monitored. I have not tried to change the Compatibility Property and reset the Security within the Manifest file to see if that works as you suggest it might.

So, why the Heck is Microsoft putting us through all this? I guess if I am smart enough to know when to allow and when to deny and I keep UAC enabled, isn't that enough? I love Vista, it does so many things so well, but it is still a bit rough around the edges. How many of us out here will have the patience to research this thing as long as I did before I found a solution? And, if my solution does not work on some other product, I at least now know where to start looking.

Many thanks again! Please let me know if any of my logic is askew or explain further why you think that I should do this differently.

Albert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back