Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus Router Vulnerability Exploited

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
According to an article I just read at Ars Technica, many Asus routers have been hacked allowing full access to the owners' USB attached hard drives.

The article is here:
Dear Asus router user: You’ve been pwned, thanks to easily exploited flaw

Snippet:
According to Lovett, the weakness affects a variety of Asus router models, including the RT-AC66R, RT-AC66U, RT-N66R, RT-N66U, RT-AC56U, RT-N56R, RT-N56U, RT-N14U, RT-N16, and RT-N16R. Asus reportedly patched the vulnerabilities late last week, but as Jerry's experience demonstrates, it has yet to be installed on some vulnerable routers.

This is a vulnerability that has been known now at least 8 months according to the article. Here's hoping that Asus gets this one cleared up sooner rather than any later.

I have an Asus router that's not in this list, thankfully. Hopefully it doesn't have the same or similar flaw. I haven't used the USB hard drive setup yet, but was wanting to do so in the near future. So this definitely got my interest.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back