Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus P4V800D-X + Geforce 7600 GT =problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F3lix

Technical User
Apr 23, 2007
RO
Gday people, i have just upgraded my pc from an old AGP video card (GeForce 4) to a new pci-e card (Geforce 7600) without changing my motherboard, this posible because i have a "crossover" motherbord with both pci and agp slots ( I've noticed that it sais "The PCI Express x16 slot running at PCI Express x4 " .
My problem is as follows: since i have installed my new video card it's working really bad...the most noticeble is when playing movies winth bsplayer,media player etc... the immage seams to be "lagging" verry badley, it isn't even possible to watch a movie..it goes like aprox 10-12 fps depending on the movie. I would like to know if:
1.this is because "'The PCI Express x16 slot running at PCI Express x4 " or is my video card broke( i could not test it at a nother person's pc because every one i know has agp based motherboards.
2. is there anything i can do from the the bios?..is there some sort of option for going from agp to pci that i can't seem to find?

I have a 2.4 Ghz P4 procesor, 1 Gb of RAM and i had a xp operating sistem ,till 1 day ago when i upgraded to vista..but it's still the same problem.

thanks in advance.

Go with the obvious first: have you properly uninstalled and re-installed the latest Nvidia drivers? whilst I realize that the driver should be the same the system may be loading a generic from it's own driver database.
Also have you tried a different DVD player, WinDVD or Cyberlink's Power DVD.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

yes.. i've tried uninstaling reinstaling, diferent versions of the driver, i even tried reinstaling windows xp 3 times..but it didn't work. ah..and the only player i could watch movies with was mplayer (a low teck linux player if i'm not mestaking) but it's not only..movies, also games run slower than they should with that video card( i'm talking abowt relativley old games not hi teck pixel shader 3 stuff), and yes..i've tried diferent codecs, no codecs..etc (even some game movies work slow), i don't think it's a softwere problem

PCI Express & AGP8X Combo Design
This motherboard supports PCI Express x16 and AGP8X slots to provide ultimate flexibility for graphics card upgrade. The PCI Express x16 slot running at PCI Express x4 speed outperforms PCI interface with its exceptional high bandwidth up to 2GB/s."

no bios setting, it just runs at pcie 4* speed
check bios setting and consult the mb manual. the card should be 100% faster than the old one.
good luck

What Asus did with this motherboard was add a slot that was physically and electrically compatible with PCI-E cards, but is actually running off the AGP hardware. You can't actually have both on the same motherboard. AGP 8X is the same bandwith as PCI-E 4X, so you're not going to get anywhere near the speed you expect from your PCI-E video card since it only has 1/4 of it's normal bandwith available. Your 7600 GT is simply too fast and is overrunning the bandwith capacity of the slower slot. You would get better video performance from a slower PCI-E card on this motherboard, as hard as that may be to believe. These transitional boards are not meant to be used in machines where speed is critical, like high performance gaming or audio/video rigs, but in machines that are going to tide you over until you can buy a real PCIE motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back