Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS P4S800D-X Overclocking Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyCub

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Hi Folks,

I just installed this mother board with and Intel P4 3.4GHz. I have four DIMM memory sticks (2, 1gb, and 2 500mb). The system boots fine with the 2gb DIMM installed but when I add the two 500mb, I get 'memory beeps' then a statement that Overclocking failed, press F2 for defaults. I press F2 and everything seems to run fine, using 3gb of RAM. Once I turn it off, the same thing happens at boot up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Check the speed of the memory, the 512 sticks may be different speeds to the 1Gig, therefore the computer is checking the speed and thinks you are overclocking the system.

2. I personally don't like to mix memory sizes because I find it makes the system unstable, do you actually need more than 2 Gig? If not just run it with 2. Matched memory is always going to work better.

I think 3gb is overkill but this was a computer I was upgrading for a friend and he refuses to give up the two 512's. I could probably just take them out and he'd never notice.

Thanks for your reply!

Take out the two 512's, I think in most BIOS' there is an option for quick boot which makes the system either bypass mem check or just doesn't show it then he'll be none the wiser.

or

Just explain to him with 2 X 512's = Unstable = Bad

Did you check the speed of the memory sticks? As if those were from his old machine almost gauranteed that they wil be different speeds so nothing you can do will make the machine work with them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back