Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus P4P8X motherboard wont post

Status
Not open for further replies.

modalman

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
GB
Hi. We have just tried our 2nd brand new P4P8X board and it still doesn't post. All we get is the green power light on the board. No fan or drive power. No power light on the case. We have tried 2 PSU's and different memory. We have also bypassed the power switch using a jumper. Still nothing. The CPU is a Pentium 2.6 with hyper threading. Has anyone got any ideas?
Many thanks in advance

ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI

If you have checked everthing is seated correctly & tried the processor & memory in another machine, I would say that the motherboard is probably faulty. Send it back for a replacement.

Clearing the CMOS is the foremost thing to do, especially with a new machine...

secondly, as mentioned, check for seating of components, especially GFX card, just a notch off can cause no POST with no error signal... same goes for the CPU HS fan, make sure it is connected on the correct jumper, some mobos do not post at all when the HS fan is incorrectly attached...

third, you should try to get the mobo to POST, with only the minimal components, GFX card, CPU and HS FAN, and correct MEM for the MOBO (of course double checked for compatibility first) and PSU of course... breadboarding is a good idea here, this will eliminate the possibily of a short circuit in the case...

if all fails, then check the components in another functioning environment, like MEM and PSU, aswell as the CPU, if these function correctly in another machine then you have a bogus motherboard and it should then be replaced...

Ben

I would try board with CPU and Heatsink, no memory, no other cards, no drives. Make sure you have a speaker attached. Reset BIOS and you should get a beep, or fans or something. If not try another CPU.

Thanks guys. Would the board still beep if there was no CPU installed or if the CPU was faulty?

ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI

Something I have just thought of, check the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. I once had a brand new motherboard that had the clear CMOS jumper set to clear. therefore I got no post or fans. I thought the board was dead until I thought to check the jumper. Probably not the case, but worth a look.
I have tried boards before with no CPU & got no post beeps. I would think it depends on the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back