Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asus new build doesnt recognize hard drive? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davefeet

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I finally got the motherboard to boot into the bios (I can only do this by reseting the cmos everytime I want to boot).
So that would be my first question what can I do so it just boots everytime. When it doesnt boot, everything turns on, and everything sounds like it is running, I hear a beep see the numberlock come on, but there is no video output. But when I reset the cmos, it boots with video?

Next question:now that I'm in the Bios (after reseting the CMOS). It picks up my dvd rom on ide1 as master, my dvd-r on ide2 as master, but my 80gb barracuda seagates it doesnt see. THey are attached to ide3 and 4 as master on their own ide cable. I tired every possible configuration, but it doesnt see them. I tried to boot from cd and load windows, but windows wouldnt load becuase "no hard drive detected"

I tried to go into the raid set up (because I would like to raid them stripping or 0) by pressing tab on startup but it doesnt take me to the raid bios. I'm not sure what to do here?

My set up is
Antec Sonata Case 380 psu
p4p800 deluxe
p4 2.6 fsb 800
dual channel twinx corsair xms 3200
ati radeon aiw 9600 pro
liteon dvd and dvdr
two 80 gig seagate barracudas

Thanks

Dave

SLC: Greatest snow on earth!!!

I suggest botting with minimal Hardware such as your memory, cpu, video and floppy. Leave Dvd drives out and see what happens.

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

In these situations it is advisable to start with the bare minimum of hardware and build up reconnecting one thing at a time SOOOOO:
Motherboard, CPU/heatsink/fan, graphics card, one stick of memory and the power supply.
No front panel wires,floppy or IDE cables or addon cards at this time.
Clear cmos
Use a small flat blade scewdriver to momentarily bridge the pwr (power) header pins.
If you have IDE cables that don't have orientation keys then make sure they are connected the correct way around.
Likewise the CPU fan header plug, make sure you are connecting it correctly to the CPU header.
Set appropriate fsb (front side bus) jumpers, if applicable.
Martin
Hopefully in this bare state it will post.

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

You have both of the hard drives set as master? One should be set as master and the other one as slave. Or have them set to Cable select.

IDE channels 3 and 4 are raid channels. you need to install the raid drivers to use those channels.
try putting the dvd rom and hard drive on channel 1, and the dvdr on channel 2

or better yet, buy a 40GB hard drive, install it on the same channel as the dvd rom, dvdr on its own channel, load up the OS, make sure its all working, then install the 2 seagates on channels 3 and 4 as a raid0 array.

as far as the video problem.. next time you get into the bios, set it to boot to agp first (disable onboard video).
also I hear there is a jumper on the board that needs to be set..
one of the hits I got on google: "try clearing your rtc ram, go to page 2-20 of your manual to see which jumper to move and full procedure."

I got the seagate recognized onto ide1, I tried to install the os but when it went to restart part way through the process it wouldn't do it. I think the problem is in the other problem when it wont start on its own unless I resest the cmos?

The ram I'm using is corsair twinx512-3200c2 has anybody used this ram without problems, or could all these problems be the ram. I heard that with other corsair in this board that you needed to set the voltage to 2.75. I tried that but that still didnt fix the problem of having to reset the cmos just to get any video signal.

Thanks

Dave

hmm, you may want to contact asus. I've got a p4c800e deluxe I've been using with corsair xms pc3200 and had 0 problems.
my original board was a p4c800 (non e) and it had problems with recognizing the cpu. I RMA'ed it and all is well now.
check out their tech support and call them up. It could be a jumper, but should be ready for agp video out of the box.

I have a feeling your problems are being caused by that video problem.. the hard drive one is fixed though right?

Well there is really two problems
1. no video unless I reset cmos
2. when I did reset cmos, it doesnt see the hdd on 3 and 4

I was hoping once I fixed the hard drive problem that It would also fix the no video problem.
But after put one hdd on its ide1, and tried to install the os (win xp) it loaded everything but then half way in the install it requires a restart, and it would restart, so I pushed the power button, and again no video.

I think I will have to rma it. What probs were you having?

Dave

THe post says "Could not boot do to cpu overclock" which is completley not true becuase I havnt changed anything in the BIOS to overclock. Any suggestions

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back