Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard and PSU and CPU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkt

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
CA
One of my customers is complaining that the CPU-cooler fan and the fan of the power supply connected to his ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard do not move when he tries to turn on his computer. Currently, he has connected to the motherboard an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor, the accompanying CPU cooler, a Corsair VS512MB400 512-MB DDR400 DIMM, and a 480-W power supply. He says that he had connected his case[’]s power-switch wire, as well. He said that although the green standby LED on the motherboard was glowing, pressing the power button didn[’]t cause the CPU cooler[’]s fan or the power supply[’]s fan to spin. Moreover, he said that the CPU-cooler and power-supply fans worked when he connected them to an older motherboard.

I have given the customer a replacement motherboard once already, but the problem is still present. I am starting to wonder whether the problem is with something other than the motherboard. Unfortunately, I will be unable to examine more closely the aforementioned components until Monday. Until then, I was hoping that somebody might suggest what the problem might be. What could be preventing the CPU-cooler and power-supply fans from spinning?

That may be something as simple as the case power on switch isn't providing the momentary short needed to start the computer. Perhaps it is connected to the wrong pins on the mobo?

It seems highly unlikely to have 2 bad motherboards.

Regards: tf1

Does the system start up, i.e., there's a display, or does the problem concern just the CPU and PS fans not running?

Pilot error!! as in, most likely the end user is at fault,
Or some other part in his system that is faulty.
We wouldn't have given a replacement motherboard UNTIL we had tested the "broken" one.
For every 10 items returned!!! HDD's, Motherboards, CDwriters etc etc one (on average) proves to be genuinely faulty.
WHO WOULD WANT TO BE IN THE RETAIL PARTS TRADE LOL!!
Often these customers report being EXPERTS!!!they say: I have been building PC's for years!!! right up until you put the cmos clear jumper in it's RUN position!! or show them that they have fitted the heatsink on the wrong way round!
Two Asus K8V SE's faulty! ONE CUSTOMER!! doubt it!

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Faulty or miswired/misplugged power-on switch?
Power supply AC voltage switch, if it has one, set to the correct voltage?

I have that motherboard, and I noticed that the pins on the board do not correspond logically with the case. They are kind of misplaced where you would think they logically would be. Anyways, also check and see if he actually hooked up all the connecters from the power button to the actual motherboard, some of the connectors have multiple pins, and that could cause a problem, like what TF1 was saying, it might not be getting the signal to turn the fans on. The voltages on that motherboard are pretty standard, and any seminew power supply will work with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got to take a look at the customer's motherboard. It turned out that he plugged several things in the wrong way, so many of you were on to something. (I had considered incorrect wiring as a possibility, as well.)
[ul circle]
[li]The CPU fan was plugged into the power-supply fan's pins.[/li]
[li]The rear outtake fan was plugged into the CPU fan's pins.[/li]
[li]The leads for the power switch, reset button, and the hard-drive light were plugged in backwards.[/li]
[/ul]
What struck me as odd was that the system turned on at all while the power-switch lead was plugged in backwards. The customer's father claimed that it mysteriously stopped refusing to turn on during the previous night. When it did power up, the system reported that the BIOS checksum was bad. I tried using the motherboard's BIOS-recovery feature, which flashed a copy of the BIOS from the enclosed CD-ROM or a floppy disk. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

In addition, I noticed that although the customer had his computers plugged into power bars, the power outlets of his apartment had no ground sockets. This worried me greatly. I'm no electrician, but where would the electricity meant for ground go if there were no path to ground, namely, the ground sockets? Wouldn't running a computer without proper grounding be risky?

Now the big question is this: Where does the fault lie? Is it the incorrect wiring on the customer's part, the lack of ground sockets in his home, or simply another defective motherboard?

After all you have said, do you have to ask.
It seems clear to me the user has damaged the motherboard.
His house wiring is his reponsibility, not yours, his incompitance is clear.
I would charge him for both motherboards and your call out charge.
Trouble is that now you have handed them over it will be dificult extracting payment.
As I said, we adopt a policy of testing before replacing and any sign of mistreatment of the goods is met with a refusal of replacement.
In the UK we have the consumer goods act, you must have a similar policy where you are.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back