Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS Beep codes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexicar

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
I have an ASUS P3V4X, I may have fried it, but when i attempt to boot it, I get a constant high-low high-low high-low high-low beep code forever, No video, nothing, just the constant high-low beep code.

ASUS told me to short the two solder points near the battery to reset the CMOS, but that didn't change a thing.

I have put in new or different peripherals, different CPU, RAM, HD, Floppy, VC, it makes no difference.

Has anybody else run into this ? Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

ive had a similar issue but was a different board.
I removed the M/B and found a peice of metal behind it.
it was shortening on the M/B causing it to beep.

Try booting with your keyboard and mose disconnected

check the memory and the video card. A constant beep of any kind is usually one of the two. If the processor wasnt working, I dont think you would get a beep at all. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks folks.

I had tried all of the above prior to posting, different peripherals as well as NO peripherals, and I mean I removed ALL cards, HD, floopy, RAM, even CPU.
And I have tried different of all of the above, no change.

If ASUS answers me, I will post here. Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

Asus books say it is either the ram or the cpu is overheating. It also says sytem running at lower frequency but that kinda of makes no sense :). Check to make sure there is goot contect between heatsink and CPU. Also do what ASUS said for about 5min. and make sure you are on the right jumper. While you are at it check and make sure your jumpers are all set right. I have dip switches to control my clock and FSB along with an automatic setting. Running a 1.2gig chip at 1.8 without special cooling would make it heat and beep :)

It may be detecting a failed cpu fan as well. This is a typically warning if you have reached the max temp or min rpm set in the bios. Try another cpu fan.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it's beyond that.

Reason i say that is I have tried different CPU's, different RAM, NO CPU, NO Ram, and combinations thereof. it does it no matter what i try, so the worst case scenario seems to be an on-board sensor is fried or something............. Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

when you short soldered the CMOS jumper did you remove the battery? if you didnt it is likely the CMOS has not been reset. you should short solder the points, remove the battery, wait five minutes, reinsert the battery, un short-solder the points and boot the pc.
I have an asus m/b and have come across the "CPU too hot" long beep. i do not think it is this as the PC runs,but only about half the speed until it crashes, it will allow a boot and give video.
last advice, go on the asus support site, download the manual (pdf) according to your model.beep codesmay differ from model to model.

Greg Case
Small Network Administrator (UK)

I use ASUS "P3B-f" and i also had this problem. The mobo aslo sound"bee bu bee bu ....." continuously until i turn off the power.

I also try above all methods and refer to menu to test my mobo. however, i cannot solve the problem.

anyone can help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back