Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASUS A7X(N system worth keeping? Or shoing a dead horse? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
I am rethinking an impulse to build a new computer to replace a three or four year AMD based system with ASUS A7X8N Mobo.
Issue: Streaming video is nearly impossible..stops, starts. Pages load slowly (325 avg DLS speed is ok, if not stellar).any moving banner causes delays in page loading, online pages to jump. Some problem with connectivity, which frequently requires a second boot before a DSL connection can be established.

<b<System Basics</b> are not stellar.
1.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
Display Adapter NVidia Vanta - maybe 16mg ram?
40/260g ide drives.
Decent HD optical.
Power Supply:
Age, as I said, maybe four years. Not more. decent case.

<b>System Use</b>
Mostly office, some Internet, no games. No video at this point, although I could imagine. No graphic work, although I intend to begin fiddling with our web pages.

<b>OS and Software</b>
Windows 2K
Office Pro
Corel Office Pro with Paradox.
Avast AV
The usual spy ware stuff.
Card Scan
Mozilla
smallstuff.

My question is whether to update the current setup with any or all of:
XP pro or Vista
1GB or 2 of memory
A decent Video card.

Or go with a totally new system.

Your wisdom and opinions will be profoundly appreciated, as always.

Your post didn't indicate how much memory the system had, but I'm betting that there's one or two things causing your performance issues:

1. Low memory.

2. Lots of installed spyware/junkware that bogs the systems down.

If it is number 1, I wouldn't bother spending any more than $10-$20 on a memory upgrade. The system is slow enough that if you're going to spend much more money you might as well spend it on something that has a longer useful life.

If it is number 2, then some anti-spyware/anti-virus scans should help clean it up quite a bit.

Your symptoms honestly sound like they're more related to your Internet connection though. So either it's fairly slow, or something else is eating up a lot of the bandwidth.

[quoteDisplay Adapter NVidia Vanta - maybe 16mg ram? [/quote]

I'm thinking that at least part of the specific problems you're having - assuming these are the main or only problems - are pointing towards the video card listed. You can get a much better replacement card for less than $50. That would fix that problem. If your memory is less than 512 RAM, then it'd be worth upgrading that. Also, as already mentioned, Spyware/Adware could be causing part of the problems. But if it's only the videos and banners, I'm thinking the primary problem to be the display adapter. You could go to NewEgg.com and probably buy just about any AGP card there, that will blow away your current card.

As for the possibility of spyware, and such: If you do not have a router with built-in firewall, get one - or else you're fighting a losing battle for security. Then, download the following free aps, and run them:
AVG Antivirus (there are a couple other really good ones as well, this has just been my favorite for quite some time).

AVG Antispyware

AVG Anti-Rootkit

Spybot Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware 2007

SpywareBlaster

Comodo Firewall Pro (software firewall)

All the above, I believe, can be downloaded at The ones listed with a website can be downloaded at either download.com or the listed website.

You should run all those apps if you haven't done so before, for sure!

Also, I'd recommend running the free online malware/grayware/virus scan from Trend Micro:

That is a scanner that actually scans AND removes problems for free.

Post back with any results from anything posted here.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

At this stage I would go new. Weather you build your own or buy prebuilt. There many options it all depends on your budget and skill level. I build my own but have a lot of parts that have been given to me. I have never had a brand new machine. But what I have works well and cost me very little.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Thanks. Spyware is not the problem, I suspect. It does only have 512mg (Sorry, I thought I had added that, but I added the cache instead).
I am leaning towards new, but that means new software. I have two boards in mind.
I had the great idea of borrowing from another desktop, which I took out of service about a year ago, but it turns out that that one has sdram. Bad luck. I may try to borrow a gb of ddr from the computer guy up the halld.
Thanks. Any thoughts truly appreciated.

Sorry, I thought I had added that, but I added the cache instead).

Um, how did you do that? I don't think there is any way to just add cache - that is built into individual components. You can only upgrade your RAM and your hard drive when it comes to memory...

If you have Windows XP, and you're only browsing the web and all, then 512 RAM should be fine.

Also, bear in mind that if your copy of Windows is a Retail version, you can just swap it to a new machine (remove from old), and use that without buying new software. If it's OEM, then it has to stay with the machine.

--

OOps. no, n ot to the computer but to the posting. I had copied cache rather than actual memory, which turns out to be the same.

"If you have Windows XP, and you're only browsing the web and all, then 512 RAM should be fine."

OS is W2K, retail. My suspicion is that the problem is a combination of three factors: OS, ram and graphics card, if it is not just too slow a cpu and outdated mobo.

Of course the problem is that I can't purchase memory and graphics card, try it in this, and then move it to an updated x64, FX or Core 2 Duo system, if it doesn't solve the problem, since everything is in different formats. I can, however, save over the drives. I'd still pretty surely install either vista or xp. That's another decision. Probably just take an upgrade on the w2k, which is an upgrade of 98, I believe.

Ok, so let's suppose I just pulled in a couple of fees and am tired of fooling around with whatever. Let's suppose that for once I would go with Intel dual core and a decent mb, which really OUGHT to have a couple of ATA headers (but one would work) and 2 gb ram. What would you lot suggest, chip and board wise. Let's furthermore suppose that I wasn't going to game, but still wanted decent video quality and maybe wanted some TV on it, plus 2 gb ram and a decent graphics card plus a great optical drive. Would 256 suffice for the card, or should I go with 512? Just supposing.

256 MB would be fine for a graphics card if you aren't doing some hardcore gaming. My suggestion:

Abit IP35-E mainboard (or just the IP35 if you want RAID)
2 GB of DDR2-800 RAM, pick your poison (G.Skill, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, whatever).
Core 2 Duo 6550 or thereabouts, whatever you can get for around $150 or so would be more than adequate. Go with something faster if you've got more money to spend.
For the video card, I'm not sure if you're saying that you want the ability to output it to a TV or watch TV on the PC. If it's the former, probably any of the new nVidia 8500/8600 or ATI 2400/2600 cards would be fine. If you want to watch TV on it, I'd go with an ATI "All-in-Wonder" card.

Great. That is probably what I will do, or at least look at. I found a board on Tiger that looks good. Will check it against those specs. Thank you.

Yes, the Abit IP35 boards look awful nice. I went with the Abit A9 Pro, however, because of the huge number of SATA connections, AND it was a bunch cheaper when I got it the other week - $99 after rebate! [smile] But if money were no object, I'd of just gone with the IP35 Pro, due to what I've read on overclocking and such with that one, and the newer chipset. But, I just went with the cheaper one, which seems to be a good board in itself. I can't WAIT until pbbly next week to put it together! [smile][smile][smile]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back