Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Astpsdat database is too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palagast

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
NL
The database of my ARCserver (2000, version 7, build 1086) installation is currently 2,7 GB large. That's too large to my liking, so I want to reduce it. I've set the pruning from 30 days to 14 days old records, but that did not seem to do anything. Even the "Submit database pruning now" option in the Server Admin module doesn't (seem to) do anything. What's the best way to reduce the suze of the database files and if it's the way I described above, what am I doing wrong here?
Thanx in advance.

Hi,

I'd say.... initialize.......

cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Pruning will not remove used space from the database, but will only create white space of what has been removed that should be used first prior to using more. I believe that you can run the keybuild utility to remove the white space.

I have a similar problem. My databases get way too large and I can't keep up with them with the keyrebuild, etc database utilities. I backup approximately 850gb of data per night. (5 dual tape drive network (1gb) attached tape libraries controlled by 1 server). I keep 14 days worth of data, my total database size (the whole directory) is around 10gb. The db utilities take a couple days to finish on that big of databases. When the databases get this large the update database at the end of the backup jobs takes forever. Is Arcserve 2000 SP4. I'm looking at 2 different options... only keeping around 7 days of data or trying out putting the db on a SQL server. Any ideas or suggestions?

The 7 days option will not solve your problem. Switch to SQL for databases of this size. SQL is a a slower but far more reliable solution for the ARCserve database if it grows above 5/6 GB.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back