Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asterisk to old PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Asterisk concept that I would like to implement to VoIP enable an older PBX. Maybe someone could tell me if this is do-able or not:

I want to take an analog port off of a PBX and feed into an asterisk system as a trunk. Then I want to register a SIP phone to the asterisk at a remote location. I want that SIP phone to always get dial tone from that "trunk" and dial any extension on the PBX or dial 9 and get dialtone via the PBX. finally whenever that "trunk" rings i want the SIP phone to ring.

can this be done? I was hoping to use Astilinux on an embedded system (Soekris)

Yes, that can be done.
You can also look at askozia for an embedded system.

Yes, it can be done. You can buy 4 ports fxo and 4 port fxs cards pretty reasonably. They use 4 trunk ports from your pbx to connect to the fxs ports in asterisk and 4 analog station ports to connect to the fxo ports. At that time you have 4 ports going both ways between Asterisk and your legacy pbx. If you have a T-1 card in your pbx, you could also use this to connect the two together, just use a t-1 cross over cable. Traditional esf/b8zs and go, or PRI if you pbx supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back