Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asterisk Connection to LAN Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfox54

Technical User
May 2, 2004
US
I have an Asterisk PBX and I want to connect it to my LAN to a poe switch and phones connected to the switch.
What type of connection do I need between the switch and the Asterisk server. I am using a Cisco 3560 switch.

1. is your Asterisk switch actually working or do you just want to play with it for fun (if it is running leave it alone)
2. PoE is for devices not for the PBX as that runs on a server so the PoE portion is for phones, access points etc.
3. LAN connections are standardized so what is the question again?

not sure if I get the point of your post really but I had to ask

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

West, My Asterisk box is working with a SIP trunk incoming from a SIP provider and with an analoug phone connect to a FSX port on the box. What I want to do is to connect Asterisk to my LAN on a POE switch and use multiple voip phones to make in/out calls via Asterisk.

Your asterisk would connect to any of the network switch ports. The sip phones would then connect to any other the other network switch ports. Add sip stations to the asterisk system, assigning extensions and passwords. Browse to the sip phones and add the asterisk ip as the sip server. Add the extension and password to the phones.

Busster, will this be a simple ethernet access port connection on the same vlan? Thanks alot.

Yes. You can setup vlans if you wish, but I would suggest starting with simple basic network until you feel comfortable and know all if working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back