Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asterisk 1.6 in production with TCE400B

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny5445

Technical User
Apr 17, 2008
GB
Hi, I am currently running a virtual asterisk server that is handling bridging between a mitel PBX and a dialler system.

The main use for the system is to allow me the flexibility of routing out to different sip providers and providing G729 compression to the mitel PBX system which has remote handsets generally on DSL links (so compression is key).

I'm looking to move onto some dedicated hardware as the other guests sometimes interfere with the asterisk media processing.

I found the TCE400B on diguim's website that handles 120 channels compression and bridging between the 2 codecs etc for $1400 which isnt bad as you dont have to buy the compression licenses (which would be $1200 alone). Which should drastically reduce the load on the

Reading the requirments document asterisk 1.6 is required for use with the card.

My question is that is 1.6 ready for production use and has anyone used the TCE400B?

The system will need a handle high volume call processing since a dialler is connected to it.

Thanks

Kenny

I don't see the same requirements. This card was released in June '09.

Digium TC400B Requirements per 888VoIPSupply:

* Zaptel 1.2.13 or greater with Asterisk® 1.2.15 or greater
* Zaptel 1.4.1 or greater with Asterisk® 1.4.1 or greater
* Linux Kernel 2.6
* Available PCI Slot

I have only used the G729 software compression.

My experience is you will greatly improve performance by using a dedicated Asterisk server as well. Virtualization is great for lab work, but really not for production. When a decent server can be purchased for around $500, this may be a better investment than the $1200 for the TCE400.

888Voipsupply is a great source of information, have actually got better tech support from them than from Digium themselves, go figure. I would call them and ask prior to purchasing the card. They will give you a straight answer. You can always shop for the card then.

Hi Busster,

Was looking at the product doc here
Which states :-

DAHDI 2.2.0 or greater and Asterisk 1.6.0.10 or greater Linux Kernel 2.6 Available PCI-Express or PCI Slot

I'm using software compression at the moment on the vmware (its ESXi on a E5530 Intel) so it runs ok most of the time....

I basically have alot of bridges calls

1 Dialler alaw > Agent g729
2 Dialler alaw > customer alaw

So for 10 dialler agents I have 20 calls with 10 being compressed.

I though that getting the hardware card might be a good investment as it is really $200 for the card as it includes $1200 of G729 licensing....

I'll check out 888voipsupply though....

Thanks

Kenny

If you google tc400b you get differing requirements.

Would definately call 888voipsupply, btw, do not work there.

I do know you should be able to get the for about $1100. You also realize software g729 license is now $8.00.

$960 for 120 software licenses or $1100 for hardware, still about $200.

All that said, I would still seriously consider putting this on a separate server.

Howler technologies just released their 64bit version of same card. Might be worth a look at.

I'm going for a howler screamer card. Looks like a nice g729 card and reasonable pricing.

has floating licenses so that when we grow licenses can be spread across multiple cards/servers with up to 425 g729 calls off 1 card!

Cheers

Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back